With big chunks of sweet, succulent king crab meat; sweet, tropical mango and creamy, rich avocado, these fresh rolls are perfect for your next summer shingdig!
Hello lovelies! Happy Monday?! <– I’m trying to stay positive here… but something about the word happy before Monday feels all kinds of wrong. Right?
Well, unless it’s next Monday. But, then it would be Happy 4th of July, and not happy Monday, which is completely different all together. You feel me?
Sorry, stream of random nonsense pouring out of my brain over.
How was your weekend? I have a feeling you enjoyed it. Weekends are good like that.
Our weekend was standard, with a bit more work for me than normal. I’ll spare you the boring details and just say my type A personality kicked in. I really do need to get a cage or at least a leash for that thing. Did you know type A personalities are commonly associated with risk of coronary disease and other stress-related illnesses? <– See!? A cage. For my personality. I desperately need one. 😉 Anyways, can we please discuss the fact that Independence Day is in exactly a week?? I find that to be crazy. Can someone please tell me where the year has gone? I feel like it was just winter… and now it is blazing hot summer.
And next week fireworks will be shooting up into the sky. People will be decked out in red, white and blue. And they will be s’more-ing, sparkler twirling, grilling, eating, drinking and celebrating. The streets will be filled with laughter and cheer…
And then it will probably be winter again. 😉 Hahaha. I kid. At least I think do? The way time flies who knows, that statement could be a complete truth. So, the 4th of July. You can’t celebrate our freedom without good eats. It’s a rule. And while most people will be making ribs, hamburgers and/or hot dogs, you should keep in mind that you might be inviting someone like me to your BBQ celebrations. Not that I don’t like ribs and hamburgers, because I do! I just don’t love hot dogs.
Did you just fall out of your chair? Let me explain.
I will eat the hot dog… I just won’t love it. As I am being a polite guest and slowly nibbling on that hot dog you forced upon me, I will secretly be wishing it was something infinitely better. Something fresh. Something fabulous. Something with seafood. Something a lot like this….King Crab, Mango & Avocado Salad Rolls
These rolls… you guys, these rolls(!!), they are the answer to your boring hot dog problem. For real, put away the franks, try one of these and tell me I’m wrong.
There is so much sweet and savory deliciousness up in these rolls. Let’s discuss.
Big chunks of sweet, succulent king crab meat; sweet, tropical mango; creamy, rich avocado, herbaceous chives and cilantro, a hint of citrusy lime, a touch a spicy jalapeno heat, and a small dollop of mayonnaise – all piled high and lovingly stuffed into a buttery, toasted, top sliced bun. <– Heaven.
Fresh, light, and seriously satisfying, these rolls are handheld, portable seafood salad scrumptiousness. Essentially, they are summer stuffed in a bun.
- The recipe calls for approximately 12 ounces of king crab meat. You will need roughly 2 pounds of king crab legs to yield 12 ounces of meat. Unless you caught fresh crab, the crab legs you purchase at the store have already been cooked, but they do need to be reheated. I have included instructions on how to reheat crab legs in the notes section of the recipe below.
- You can substitute snow crab legs or lump crabmeat if you would like, but fair warning, the rolls will not be as decadent as if you use king crab.
- The entire recipe below calls for only ¼ cup of mayonnaise, because I don’t know about you but I want to taste the crab, mango and avocado. I do not want a seafood salad laden with mayonnaise. You can use more mayonnaise if that’s your thing, I don’t judge. Add more mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired creaminess is achieved. You can also substitute Greek yogurt for mayonnaise if you prefer, but I would go very light handed, as the tanginess of the yogurt might overpower the delicate crab taste.
- If you are watching your carb intake, this crab salad is absolutely delicious served as a lettuce wrap – simply swap the hot dog bun for some bibb lettuce.
Until Thursday friends, cheers – to scrumptious summer seafood at your next soiree!
- 12 ounces Cooked King Crab Meat* – roughly chopped
- 1 large Mango – peeled, pitted and small dice
- 1 Avocado – peeled, pitted and small dice
- 1 Jalapeno – seeded and finely diced
- 1 Shallot – finely diced
- 2 TBS Chives – thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise*
- 1 TBS Cilantro – minced
- Juice of ½ Lime
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Hot Dog Buns – toasted*
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, ¼ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp pepper.
- Add in mango, avocado, jalapeno and shallot. Gently stir together.
- Add in crab meat and chives and gently stir again. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spoon lobster salad into hot dog buns. Serve and enjoy.
*Can substitute Greek yogurt for mayonnaise.
*Hot dog buns are optional, you can serve the lobster salad on the bibb lettuce as lettuce wraps instead.
*To Reheat Crab Legs:
1. Fill a large pot with steamer basket insert with 1-2’’ of water and bring to a boil.
2. Add crab legs and cover. Steam for 4-5 minutes, or until you can smell crab.
3. Remove crab legs and allow to cool. Use kitchen shears to cut shells and remove meat.
You Might Also Like: