This Easy Chicken & Black Bean Soup is made with just nine ingredients and can be ready, from prep to finish, in 25 minutes or less! Loaded with chicken, black beans and salsa, this quick soup doesn’t sacrifice flavor!
Helllllo Friends! Happy 2nd Thursday of the New Year!
Is anyone else still having trouble processing the fun fact that we are in 2017?
I know we are now TWELVE days into the year and my brain should have accepted this, but I am still writing 2016 on everything.
But, IF I happen to get the year correct, then I definitely get the month wrong.
Basically, I’m writing January 2016 or December 2017 on all the things.
#BlondeHairProblems for sure.
Since I am on the topic of the New Year, is it just me or did anyone else think we’d be flying cars by now, and not driving them?
I mean, in Back to the Future, Marty and Doc time traveled INTO 2015 and they had flying cars. We are 2 years past that.
So my question is, where are these flying cars? Because, I want one. Obviously. 😉
Anyways, now that I’m rambled your little ears (errr eyes?) off, I’ll get to the food now.
A friend of mine (Mary Ann over at The Beach House Kitchen) mentioned on her blog that January is National Soup Month. To me, this is most excellent news, because I have a bunch of soups to share with you guys.
And we are going to get the soup party started with one of my favorites….
Black Bean & Chicken Soup
…Make that SPEEDY and super EASY, NINE INGREDIENT, Black Bean & Chicken Soup.
Ready, from prep to finish, in 25 minutes or less.
AND made in just one pot.
Did you just lose your mind? Don’t worry about finding it, because YES, you DID read all that correctly.
This soup is ridiculous in the very best way.
Ridiculously quick. ✔️️
Ridiculously easy. ✔️️
And, ridiculously delicious. ✔️️
Smoky, earthy, savory and cozy comforting, this soup has a silky, salsa-broth base with chunks of chicken and heaps of black beans.
If you want to take things to the next level of yum (because ummm who DOESN’T?), I highly suggest you load it up with ALL the toppings – diced avocado, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, crunchy tortilla strips, sliced jalapenos and a dollop (or three) of sour cream.
Hearty, yet healthy and loaded with flavor, this black bean and chicken soup has swiftly become a cozy favorite.
- I’m just going to be honest here, since I’m sure someone, somewhere will want to be a nitpicker. I do not count salt, pepper and olive oil in the ingredient count. They are pantry staples. Even Rachael Ray doesn’t count those in her 30 minute meals. So, if you have a problem with this, I suggest you take it up with her. Mmmmm’kay?
- I highly recommend you use a salsa on the chunky side and if you are purchasing it, versus making it, buy one you love. The salsa is a large part of this recipe, so just make sure you are using one you adore. If I’m buying my salsa for this soup I like this brand and flavor – Tostitos Cantina Roasted Garlic. I’m not getting paid to say that, I’m just being honest. 😉
- For the chicken, you can make your own or purchase cooked chicken. Rotisserie chicken comes in handy here. Or, you can do what I do and slow cook, or sous vide, a bunch of chicken breasts to have on hand for easy meals like these.
- If you like your soup with a little heat, you can either use a spicy salsa, or you can add a diced jalapeno to the soup at the same time you add the onion.
Cozy, comforting, quick and easy, this Black Bean & Chicken Soup is the perfect way to celebrate National Soup Month.
Until next week friends, cheers – to soup-erb eats!
This Easy Chicken & Black Bean Soup is made with just nine ingredients and can be ready, from prep to finish, in 25 minutes or less! Loaded with chicken, black beans and salsa, this quick soup doesn't sacrifice flavor!
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion – diced*
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- 2 tsp each Ground Cumin & Chili Powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups Chunky Salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 3 Cups Cooked Chicken – shredded or chopped
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro – chopped, plus more for garnish
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Optional Garnishes: Diced Avocado, Sliced Green Onions, Sour Cream, Sliced Jalapenos, Shredded Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and season generously with salt and pepper. Sauté until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in cilantro and stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Serve soup warm with additional garnishes. Enjoy!
*If you want your black bean soup spicy either use spicy salsa or add 1 diced jalapeno to the pan with the onion.
You Might Also Like: