Classic chicken noodle soup meets Thai chicken curry in this Thai Chicken Noodle Soup. Packed with flavor and made with the convenience of the slow cooker, this sweet and savory soup is good for the soul!
Hey, hey, haaaaaay, friends!
How’s it going?
How was your weekend?
Did you watch the Oscars?
I’m full of questions today, I know. Curious Georgina problems over here.
My weekend was fine and dandy. Nothing remarkable or major happened here at the SuBourbon Country Cottage. Which, if I’m being honest, was just fine by me. All the computer drama that happened recently is just about as much ‘excitement’ as I can handle for the month… or year.
I know, I know… it’s probably some kind of pop culture SIN not to watch the BIGGEST award show of the year, but I’m just not that into it.
I’ll look at the best dressed lists and photos online sometime today, but sitting through the entire show?
I mean, this is coming from the same girl who refuses to go to the movie theater because I can’t sit still that long without multiple breaks.
My A.D.D. kicks into overdrive, especially when I have to sit through categories of things and listen to all the presenters, the nominees, AND then wait to hear the winner announced, OVER AND OVER again. It’s just not my bag.
BUT, if you watched the show, I hope you LOVED every second of it!
So tell me, who do you think was BEST dressed? What was your FAVORITE part of the Oscars? How did Jimmy Kimmel do as the host?
It’s helpful to know exactly WHAT to google from last night’s show. So, dish the dirt! 😉
Anyways, since the weekend is over and the weather is back to being wonky and chilly here, I thought today was the PERFECT day to share an EASY soup. And, since this soup happens to be one of my FAVORITES I have made this season, it ties into this past weekend’s awards theme nicely. 🙌
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
AKA classic chicken noodle soup meets Thai chicken curry.
Tender, succulent chunks of chicken, sweet red bell peppers, mellow yellow onions, herbaceous cilantro, and oodles of slurp-able noodles swimming in a savory, slightly sweet, creamy, curry flavored broth.
This soup is rich in flavor, yet broth-y and light in texture.
Basically, this soup is a big BOLD punch of deliciousness to the taste buds.
But, not only is this soup spectacularly satisfying in the taste department, it is also an absolute breeze to whip together. However, you don’t have to take my word for it, scroll down for the easy-peasy break down.
How to Make it:
This soup seriously could not be any easier to prepare thanks to the trusty slow cooker.
Simply combine the aromatics (garlic and ginger) with the liquid ingredients in the slow cooker and whisk to combine.
Add in the diced chicken, onion and bell pepper.
Cover the slow cooker and go about your life for a few hours.
Come back, stir in the noodles, cover and continue to cook until the pasta is tender.
Stir in the fresh cilantro and a good squeeze of acidic lime.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with desired toppings.
Dinner is served.
- You can use either chicken breasts or chicken thighs in this recipe. Just make sure you use boneless, skinless chicken either which way.
- The recipe calls for regular, full fat coconut milk, and I wouldn’t substitute light coconut milk here. The full fat coconut milk gives this soup a much more pleasant mouth feel and more flavor!
- After adding the noodles to the slow cooker, watch the cooking time very closely! And, make sure you have the slow cooker set to LOW. The noodles can go from al dente to a mushy mess very quickly. I recommend you let the noodles cook for 10 minutes, and then check on them. I cooked mine for 15 minutes and they were perfect, but each slow cooker is different.
- While the soup is really flavorful on its own, the garnishes add an extra pop of flavor and texture. I highly recommend you top the soup with at least the extra lime juice, peanuts, and green onions or more cilantro!
This Thai Chicken Noodle Soup is good for the soul AND for your belly. Packed full of flavor and ridiculously easy to make, this soup needs to grace your table!
Until Thursday friends, cheers – to slurp-tastic soup!
- 1 ½’’ piece of Ginger – peeled and grated
- 4 Cloves of Garlic – minced
- ¼ Cup Red Curry Paste
- 2 TBS Fish Sauce
- 2 TBS Honey
- 4 ½ Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 (14 ounce) Cans Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs – cut into 1 ½’’ pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion – diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper – diced
- 6 ounces Egg Noodles
- 2 TBS Cilantro – chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 Lime – juiced (about 2 TBS)
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Optional Garnishes: Lime Wedges, Chopped Peanuts, Sliced Red Chili, Sliced Green Onion
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, combine the ginger, garlic, curry paste, fish sauce, honey, chicken stock, coconut milk, ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine. Add in the chicken, onion and bell pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Remove top and stir in the noodles. Cover and continue to cook on LOW for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender*.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with desired garnishes. Enjoy!
2. The recipe calls for regular, full fat coconut milk, and I wouldn’t substitute light coconut milk here. The full fat coconut milk gives this soup a much more pleasant mouth feel and more flavor!
3. After adding the noodles to the slow cooker, watch the cooking time very closely! And, make sure you have the slow cooker set to LOW. The noodles can go from al dente to a mushy mess very quickly. I recommend you let the noodles cook for 10 minutes, and then check on them. I cooked mine for 15 minutes and they were perfect, but each slow cooker is different.
4. While the soup is really flavorful on its own, the garnishes add an extra pop of flavor and texture, I highly recommend you top the soup with at least the extra lime juice, peanuts, and green onions or more cilantro!
You Might Also Like: