With berries marinated in brandy, mint whipped mascarpone and graham cracker streusel, these festively fun parfaits are perfect for your 4th of July celebration!Hi friends! T minus 4 days till the 4th of July! Wahoo!! Do you guys have any big plans to celebrate our independence? Whatever festivities you guys have devised, I hope it includes lots of fantastic food, delicious drinks and a fascinating fireworks.
While the rest of the nation is busy organizing their shindig for the 4th, I am busy getting ready to celebrate something else next week. Something I use to loooove celebrating when I was younger, but now as I get older, I feel like I’m just adding more notches to my belt… and since I’m not getting any skinnier, that saying seems sadly appropriate.
That’s right. Next week is maaah birrrrthhdaaay! I’ll just come out and tell you, I will be 33.
33! Even as I type that number I find it hard to believe. I feel like I was just having a conniption over turning 30, and now I will be closer to 35 than 30. I’m trying to refrain myself from having an emotional breakdown by reminding myself age is just a number. Besides, as a woman, we are like a fine wine… we get better with age. 😉
So as you all are planning out your 4th of July party, I am working on my birthday wish list. For those of you who are a nosy Nancy like me, so far it’s a toss-up between a new camera body and custom shelving for my office closet.
Anyways, I’m not so busy dreaming up birthday gifts that I forgot about you guys and your need for festively fun 4th of July food! So I made you guys one of my favorite treats to devour in the summer – parfaits… with fruit and booze, of course. Berries in Brandy Parfait
Aka 4th of July in a glass. Because you just can’t celebrate Independence Day with at least one red, white and blue dish. But, these beauties are more than just three shades of parfait perfect, they are also downright delicious.
I know I just shared a trifle with you guys, but recently I am all about the layers of flavor. I am convinced layered food makes life compl-eat, just saying. Besides, once you try these parfaits, I’m sure you will be joining me in my layers are not just for fall clothing mentality.
Thick and creamy, yet airy and light, decadent, sweet, minty mascarpone.
Boozy, luscious, fruity, fresh berries.
Brown sugary, cinnamon-y, crumbly and crisp graham cracker streusel.
Basically these parfaits taste like a summer fruit crisp… made individual sized, minus the baking and plus some luxurious mascarpone. Essentially they put the fruit crisp to shame. So you should turn off your oven and indulge in these pretty parfaits instead. 😉
- If you want to make these non-alcoholic simply skip the brandy when marinating the berries. Instead, increase the amount of sugar to ½ cup and let the berries macerate according to directions in the recipe.
- You can make all components of this parfait in advance. Just keep the whipped mascarpone, berries and streusel separate and assemble before serving.
- The streusel is crazy addictive. I highly recommend you double the recipe and store it in a Ziploc bag. It is delicious as a sweet snack, or you can use it to top ice cream, stir it into yogurt, serve it with fresh fruit, etc.
In light of the holiday and my birthday I will not be posting on Monday. So until next Thursday friends, cheers – to a fabulous (and safe) Independence day!
With berries marinated in brandy, mint whipped mascarpone and graham cracker streusel, these festively fun parfaits are perfect for your 4th of July celebration!
- 1 Pint Strawberries – trimmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 2 Cups Blueberries
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lemon – zest of whole and juice of half
- ¼ Cup + 2 TBS Brandy
- Whipped Mascarpone:
- 8 oz Mascarpone Cheese
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 TBS Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Fresh Mint – finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Graham Crackers – coarsely crushed (about 1 ½ sheets)
- ¼ Cup + 2 TBS Light Brown Sugar
- 2 ½ TBS Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- ¾ Stick Unsalted Butter – melted
- Marinate the berries: In a large bowl combine the granulated sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and brandy. Stir well. Add the berries and gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust for sweetness and brandy if needed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Make the streusel: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix together the flour, graham crackers, both sugars, salt and cinnamon. With a fork, mix in butter until large clumps form. Transfer streusel to baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Return to oven and continue to bake for 7-8 additional minutes, or until streusel is pale brown, watching closely to prevent burning. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Whip the mascarpone: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the mascarpone and heavy whipping cream. Beat on high speed until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the honey and vanilla and beat until just combined. Fold in the mint.
- To assemble: Layer a ¼ cup of mascarpone in the bottom of each parfait glass, top with a fourth of the berries and spoonful of the brandy marinade. Top each with a ¼ cup of the streusel. Garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired. Serve and enjoy.
You Might Also Like: