Need a tropical vacation? This easy Blue Hawaiian Cocktail is like a tasty trip for your tastebuds! Featuring coconut malibu, white rum, blue curacao, and pineapple, this hypnotizing blue drink is smooth, fruity and fabulously refreshing.
Featured comment: The Rum Blue Island Cocktail is exactly what it says. It has a hint of pineapple, coconut, and lime that tastes amazing with the rum. The cocktail is the perfect summer drink!” – Claudette
Update: This post was originally published in July 2015. I made updates to the article below to include more information about making this recipe for Hawaiian blue cocktails at home.
Hi, friends! If you love any (or all) of the following adult mixed drinks- Texas Roadhouse cocktail Kenny’s Cooler, long island iced tea, or the piña colada – you will love this blue hawaiian recipe!
Quick Navigation - Table of Contents
About this Easy Rum Blue Island Cocktail
If you can’t be on a remote island soaking up the sun, don’t worry! This easy island cocktail is like a tropical paradise for your tastebuds. And, it will have you feeling like you are basking in the warm summer sun!
This colorful blue island cocktail is the ideal mix of boozy, coconut-y, citrusy, and fruity flavors. Featuring a mesmerizing aquamarine hue, this topical cocktail is perfectly refreshing and tempting!
Wether you stir it, shake it, serve it over ice, or blend it into a frozen daiquiri, this effortless blue cocktail will leave you feeling rejuvenated and relaxed!
Why you’ll love this drink recipe!
This hawaiian blue drink is a favorite of mine for many reasons:
- Just 5 Ingredients! You just need five basic bar ingredients to make these blue cocktails.
- No Sour Mix! Most recipes for blue hawaii cocktail utilize a sour mix; however, those mixes are simply high fructose corn syrup with artificial ingredients. This simple recipe nixes the mixes and opts for fresh fruit juices instead.
- Simple and Quick! This recipe for mixed drinks with malibu comes together in under 5 minutes, flat.
- Tropically Delicious! With the ideal balance of sweet and tart flavors, this tropical rum cocktail is perfectly delicious!
- Batch-able! You can easily big-batch a pitcher of island drinks if you want to serve a crowd.
Blue Hawaiian cocktail ingredients
This recipe for blue hawaiian drinks with malibu requires just a handful of basic bar ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Malibu – Malibu is a coconut flavored liqueur made from Caribbean rum.
- White Rum – To ensure your cocktail shares the same color as the blue lagoon, use white rum (versus dark rum).
- Substitution: If you prefer a more tropical, fruity mixed drink, swap out the clear rum for pineapple rum.
- Blue Curacao – Curacao is a popular liqueur made from the peels of laraha citrus fruit grown on the island of Curaçao. Blue Curaçao lends a unique orange citrusy flavor to this island drink.
- Pineapple Juice – I recommend using 100% pineapple juice for this cocktail recipe.
- Lemon Lime Soda – For a touch of effervescence.
- Substitution: If you prefer a stronger coconut flavor in your blue drink try swapping in coconut water or coconut milk. Or try a sparkling mineral water or seltzer in a pinch.
Hawaiian blue variations
- Frozen blue drink: To make a frozen version of this blue curacao drink, simply pour the ingredients into a high-speed blender with about 1 cup of fresh crushed ice. Then, blend the cocktail mixture until it resembles a smooth slushie.
- Thicker cocktail: If you prefer a thicker Hawaiian drink (similar to a smoothie), swap out the soda or coconut water for cream of coconut.
FAQs: blue hawaiian drink
Why are my curaçao drinks green?
The color of this pineapple rum drink depends directly upon the ratio of the ingredients and the amount of ice you use. When properly mixed together, blue hawaiian drinks will have a beautiful blue lagoon color, similar to the waters off tropical beaches.
If your Hawaii drink is green, chances are you either used too much ice or not enough curaçao. However, using dark rum, versus white rum, will also turn this blue cocktail green.
If your drink has a green hue and you are looking for a quick fix, simply add a few drops of blue food coloring to your blue cocktail punch.
What is curacao?
Blue curacao (pronounced Cure-AH-Sow) is an artificially-colored orange liqueur. Invented by Dutch settlers on the island of Curaçao in the 19th century, there are a three popular varieties – blue, orange, and clear. Blue curacao is what gives this blue hawaii drink it’s beautiful blue color.
What does curaçao taste like?
Made with the peels of the Laraha citrus fruit, blue curaçao has a sweet orange peel flavor and slightly bitter finish.
How is curacao different from triple sec?
Curacao and Triple Sec are both orange-flavored liqueurs; but, they aren’t the same thing
Curaçao is typically distilled in a pot with brandy, cognac, or a sugar cane spirit. It has a sweeter flavor and a solid or clear coloring.
On the other hand, triple sec is frequently distilled in a column with a neutral grain spirit. And it has a drier taste and a clear appearance.
Does blue curaçao have alcohol?
Yes! Citrus-flavored curaçao is a liqueur with about 15-40 percent alcohol.
Serving curacao drinks
Best garnish for drinks with curacao?
Cocktail garnishes are the simplest way to dress up your blue drinks. Below are some of my favorite garnishes to complement this Hawaii cocktail:
- Citrus Peels
- Maraschino Cherries
- Cocktail Umbrellas
What glasses for blue hawaiian recipe?
The blue Hawaiian drink is commonly served in a Hurricane Glass – a curvy, fluted hybrid between a tall glass and a stemmed glass. Hurricane glasses are the traditional cup of choice for all tiki drink – frozen, blended, or on the rocks – such as the piña colada.
However, if you don’t have a hurricane glass (I don’t!), you can substitute tall cocktail glasses, such as a pint glass or collins glass, or large stemless wine glasses.
Easy on the eyes and even easier to sip, this blue hawaiian punch is the perfectly refreshing.
Until next time, friends, Cheers!
More tropical cocktail recipes!
Are you looking for more breezy adult beverages? Try these fan favorites next:
- Rum Runner
- Strawberry Basil Cocktail
- Spicy Mango Margarita
- Cocktail with Kiwi
- Berry Bramble Cocktail
- Cocktail with Elderflower
How to make Easy Rum Blue Island Cocktail Recipe 👇
Blue Hawaiian Cocktail with malibu and curaçao
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 2 Collins Glasses (or cocktail glasses of choice)
- 1 ½ ounces White Rum
- 1 ounce Malibu Coconut Rum
- 1 ½ ounce Blue Curacao
- 3 ounces Pineapple Juice - or more to taste
- 1 ounce Sprite - or more to taste (substitution: coconut water)
- Optional Garnishes Maraschino Cherries, Pineapple Wedges
- Combine ingredients: Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 of the way with ice cubes. Pour in the white rum, malibu rum, blue curacao and pineapple juice.
- Shake or stir cocktail: Put the lid on the shaker to seal closed. Shake until the cocktail shaker is cold to the touch, at least 20 seconds. Shake to combine. Fill two small glasses with ice. Use strainer to divide cocktail among two glasses. Top each with half shot of sprite. Garnish with cherries.
- Strain into glasses: Fill two Collins cocktail glasses with ice. Strain the blue hawaiian drink into the cup over the ice.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish your blue cocktails with a cherry, pineapple wedge and umbrella, if using. Enjoy immediately.
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. Do not publish this recipe without prior consent. To reference this recipe, please link directly to this post.