This Blueberry Crostini appetizer is so easy to prepare and makes the perfect appetizer, starter or snack for summer! Featuring crisp toast topped with fresh berries, creamy mint mascarpone, crunchy almonds and a drizzle of sweet honey. Whether you’re entertaining friends and family, or simply in the mood for a delicious amuse-bouche, this crostini recipe has you covered!
I have a confession to make: I am a huge klutz. Scratch that. Capitalize it- KLUTZ. How I ever made it through culinary school, without seriously injuring myself, beats the H-E-double hockey sticks out of me! I am lucky, on a daily basis, if I don’t run into a wall, door or inanimate object. My family doesn’t call me, “Gracie” for nothing!
However, when it comes to the kitchen, I am pretty graceful. Or maybe I am just super careful, or lucky. Or both? Well, luck was not on my side yesterday. I was chop, lockin’ and droppin’ pounds of fresh veggies and fruit like it was my job (well it kind of is I suppose, because of this blog), and got ‘er all diced and done with style ‘n grace. Then, I moved on to the uber-fun part of the kitchen, cleaning the mess (<–said dripping with sarcasm), when I sliced my thumb on my chef’s knife. Deep.
Meeeoooo-owwwwchie! I muttered a bunch of expletives and panicked for a minute. However, I wasn’t panicking at the blood gushing from the huge gouge on my thumb, but at the thought that I may need to go to the ER. I don’t do hospitals. Or doctors, no offense if you are one! I am sure you are quite lovely! 🙂
But, don’t cry for me Argentina, after a good 45 minutes of endless blood and constant pressure applied to the wound, it stopped bleeding. And my finger is still attached to my body! #ThankYouJesus.
What does this, me being a klutz, have to do with today’s post? Not a thing, aside from the fact that my finger is throbbing as I am typing this out. (Pity party- table of one)
With that said, let’s get to it and discuss these little lovelies – blueberry crostini!
About this blueberry appetizer
You guys, these are amazingly simple and seriously delicious!
These crostini are a winning combination of sweet and savory. They are crunchy on the bottom, minty and creamy in the middle, bursting with sticky, juicy, honey covered blueberries on top and finished with salty, toasted slivers of almonds and lemon zest for a touch of zip.
Customizing blueberry crostini
These blueberry toasts are also versatile. Since they are both sweet and savory, they are perfect for brunch, appetizers, as a snack or dessert. And they are customizable. Want to add delicious, festive flare to your 4th of July menu? You can make these crostini with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or a combination of two (or three) on the top. Or, you could do a row of red fruit topped crostini, followed by a row of blue. Or, you can be (cool) like me and stick to just one fruit. Either way, I know you and your party goers are bound to love these.
Until next time, warm wishes for a fabulous 4th of July, my friends! I hope it is filled with lots of fun and fantastic food!
More summer appetizer recipes!
- Quick peach chutney (Delicious with burrata cheese!)
- AMAZING Corn Salsa (Chipotle Copycat!)
- Goat Cheese Tartlets (Ridiculously easy phyllo cup appetizer!)
How to make the best blueberry appetizer 👇
Summer Crostini (with blueberries and whipped cheese!)
- 1 Baguette – sliced into ¾-1’’ thick slices
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - for drizzling
- 8-9 oz Mascarpone Cheese or Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tsp Honey - plus more for drizzling on top
- 3 TBS Heavy Whipping Cream (can substitute Half-and-Half)
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves – finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1 Pint Blueberries
- ½ Cup Almonds – thinly sliced
- 1 Pinch Flakey Sea Salt - or more to taste
- 1 Lemon - Zested
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Prepare the Whipped Cheese: In the bowl of a stand mixer, affixed with the whisk attachment, whip together the mascarpone, honey and the heavy whipping cream until thick, light, and slightly fluffy soft peaks start to form. Fold in the fresh mint leaves. Set aside.
- Toast Bread: Arrange slices of baguette on prepared baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to generously apply olive oil to tops of bread. Sprinkle with sea salt. Place in the oven and bake slices of bread until toasted and golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack or clean work surface and allow to cool.
- Toast the Almonds: Place a dry skillet over medium heat. Add almond slices and toast, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate, bowl or clean work surface.
- Make the Crostini Appetizer: Spread each slice of bread with some of the whipped mint mascarpone. Top with blueberries and almonds. Drizzle with Honey and garnish with a mint leaf. Enjoy!
- Mascarpone: My tub of mascarpone was approximately 8.8 Oz.
- Recipe Yield: 16-18 Crostini