Crispy buffalo chicken, salty bacon, and creamy blue cheese sauce sandwiched between homemade blue cheese and bacon waffles to create the ULTIMATE waffle club sliders!
Happy Bluesday Tuesday ya’ll. I am partnering with Castello for a summer of blue. But, before I get to that excitement, I want to clear something up.
I believe there is a misconception running rampant on No Spoon. The misconception of Boy being my son. I completely understand the confusion, because he is a child. A man child. He is 36 going on 12 and he does love his chicken nuggies. However, he is my adorable, big kid at heart, husband. Not my son. 🙂 One day I will have to explain to you all how his nickname came to be, but not today.
Let’s chat quickly about something that doesn’t need any clarification. Heavenly food pairings. There are some ingredients that are universally accepted as a match made in heaven… such as peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese, buffalo sauce and blue cheese, Sriracha and everything, blue cheese and bacon, and a big one down here in the south- chicken and waffles.
I adore a good, potent, crumbly blue cheese… who doesn’t? So, as I was tearing open the packages of Castello crumbled blue, like a kid in a candy store, I already knew exactly what pairings I was going to jam pack together to create the ultimate slider. Chicken and waffles, buffalo and blue cheese, and blue cheese and bacon. The culinary magic that unfolded is this – Buffalo Chicken & Blue Cheese-Bacon Waffle Club Sliders. Try and say that five times fast and backwards.
The waffle itself is savory, salty, smoky, and pungently blue cheesy, with a hint of subtle sweetness. Serving as the slider bread, the mini waffles have a slightly crunchy exterior with a tenderly soft and creamy interior.
I topped the waffles with knock your socks off, amazingly delicious buffalo chicken nuggets, crispy bacon and tangy blue cheese crumbles. Then, I finished it all off with blue cheese dressing, which provides the perfect amount of coolness for your palate to finish off each and every bite.
Overall these baby, bite sized sandwiches are the bomb dot com! Spicy, sweet, savory, salty and umami, these sliders are a chicken and waffle experience you don’t want to miss. Perfect for brunch, lunch, dinner, appetizers or simply as a snack, I can guarantee you are going to love this playful spin on chicken and waffles.
So bust out your waffle maker and join me in celebrating #BluesdayTuesday by preparing, and devouring, these scrumptiously savory buffalo chicken and blue cheese- bacon waffle club sliders.
*This post was sponsored by Castello cheese. However, all opinions expressed within are of my own free will.
Buffalo Chicken & Blue Cheese Waffle Club Sliders
- Blue Cheese &Bacon Waffles: (yield 6-7 waffles)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 TBS Granulated Sugar
- 2 Medium Eggs – room temperature and separated
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 TBS Unsalted Butter – melted
- 10 Slices Bacon – cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ tsp Bacon Drippings (optional)
- 6 Oz Blue Cheese – crumbled
- 14 slices Bacon – cooked and cut in half
- Blue Cheese Crumbles , to taste
- Blue Cheese Dressing , to taste
- 14 Buffalo Chicken Nuggets (can substitute store bought)
- Buffalo Hot Sauce Dip:
- ½ Cup Buffalo Hot Sauce
- 2 TBS Butter , melted
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt , to taste
- For Waffles: Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and set a wire rack insert into a sheet pan.
- Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, bacon & blue cheese. Whisk until incorporated. Set aside.
- Wet Ingredients: In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter and bacon drippings. Set aside.
- In another separate bowl whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix gently, until JUST combined, being sure not to overmix ingredients. Gently fold in whipped egg whites.
- To Cook Waffles: Spray preheated waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray. Add batter, about 3/4 cup per waffle, to maker. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions, until fully cooked and cheese is a little oozing. (Mine took about 5-7 minutes). Transfer cooked waffles to wire rack and place in oven to keep warm. Continue cooking the remaining waffle batter.
- Prepare the Nuggets for Sliders: In a large mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the buffalo hot sauce dip. Add the nuggets and toss to coat. Set aside.
- For Sliders: Adjust oven rack to the top third position. Preheat the oven to low broil. Using scissors or a chef knife, cut the waffles into four equal squares. Place one buffalo sauce coated nugget on top of half of the waffle squares. Top with two halves of bacon and crumbled blue cheese. Broil until blue cheese is melted. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle with blue cheese dressing (optional) and top with remaining half of waffle squares. Serve warm and enjoy!