Let’s make this Thirsty Thursday an epic affair with my bodaciously boozy Key Lime Milkshakes! Featuring creamy, dreamy vanilla ice cream, freshly squeezed lime juice, warmly spiced graham crackers, and three (3!!!) types of alcohol, this boozy milkshakes recipe is designed to make your happy hour a whole lot cooler.
Update: This post was originally published in August 2016. I’ve updated the post below to include more information about homemade Milkshakes. Plus, I’ve included a recipe video to show you how easy this Lime Milkshake is to make!
Quick Navigation - Table of Contents
About this boozy milkshake recipe
Aside from being a frosty, sippable embodiment of Florida’s favorite pie, this boozy milkshake recipe is:
- Made With Just 7 Ingredients – And 3 of them are booze, so you know this boozy shake recipe is meant for a good time. (Sober curious? No worries! I’ve got you covered with a 5-ingredient virgin key lime pie milk shake adaptation below.)
- Quick & Easy – You only need approximately .47 seconds and a quick spin in the blender to make this key lime pie drink with vodka and tequila. Huzzah!
- Meal Prep-Friendly – Okay, “meal” is a stretch, but you can easily prepare a big batch of these bad boys and keep them in the freezer. That’s what I do so there’s always plenty of boozy milkshakes near me!
Ingredients for boozy milkshakes
- Vanilla Ice Cream – Homemade or premium store-bought are both great options.
- Key Limes – If possible, try getting your hands on fresh key limes. In a pinch, Nellie & Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice is a good bottled option.
- In a pinch, slightly more tart, less floral Persian limes are also acceptable.
- Irish Cream – For an added dose of creaminess with an extra shot of boozy fun!
- You can easily swap in milk for any of the booze options if you prefer.
- Lime Vodka – I wanted to double down on the lime flavor, so I went with lime vodka.
- Feel free to use regular vodka and add an extra splash of lime juice.
- Tequila – I used more neutral-flavored tequila blanco, but reposado will also work.
- Not a fan of tequila? Try swapping in white or coconut rum instead.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Making this lime milkshake with condensed milk helps to give it the real “key lime pie” flavor we’re after.
- Feel free to swap in the plant-based sweetened condensed milk of your choosing if you’re vegan or dairy-free!
- Graham Crackers – Since these are supposed to be key lime PIE milkshakes, I wanted to ensure we got the graham cracker crust flavor in there. You’re welcome to use GF grahams if needed.
- For a slightly spicier alternative, try ginger snaps. You can also use crushed shortbread or animal crackers in a pinch!
- Virgin Milkshake: If you want to make this milkshake without the booze, increase the amount of lime juice to 1/4 of a cup. Eliminate ALL of the alcohol and substitute 1/2 cup of milk. Follow the recipe as instructed.
- Extra Tart: For a boozy milkshake with a stronger key lime flavor, add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon lime zest. If you want a SUPER strong key lime flavor, increase the amount of key lime juice in the shake to 1/4 of a cup and swap out the tequila for more lime vodka.
- Coconut Key Lime Pie Milkshake: If you are a fan of coconut, these lime shakes taste really delicious with the addition of coconut rum (Malibu) and a toasted coconut garnish!
How to make this boozy shake
These boozy milkshakes with key lime are super simple to prepare. Here’s how:
There is nothing better than a cold, creamy milkshake on a warm summer day! Thankfully, making a milkshake at home is ridiculously easy!
- Add ice cream, key lime juice and either alcohol (for a boozy shake) or milk (for a virgin shake) to a blender.
- Blend on high speed until combined, but still thick, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour shake into an ice cold glass, garnish and enjoy!
How to make a boozy milkshake without a blender?
Making this key lime milkshake without a blender is a lot easier than you think! You can either use a different kitchen appliance or a little arm strength. Here’s how:
- Food Processor: Add the ice cream, condensed milk and lime juice to the food processor. Add in either the milk for a non-boozy shake, or alcohol for a boozy shake. Blend until combined.
- Immersion Blender: Add all of the milkshake ingredients to a deep bowl. Insert the immersion blender, turn it on and blend until the shake is thoroughly mixed.
- Mason Jar (or any container with a lid): Make sure you use a jar big enough to hold all of the milkshake ingredients with a bit of room to spare. Seal with a lid and shake for several minutes until combined.
- Whisk & Bowl: Make sure you start with slightly softened ice cream. Place ice cream in a deep bowl and whisk to break up the ice cream until it’s a thick consistency. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to whisk until combined.
Expert tips for the best lime milkshake
- I found exactly 1 ½ full sheets of graham crackers to be the perfect amount to give the key lime pie shake the perfect amount of graham cracker crust taste without being overwhelming. However, if the crust is your favorite part of the pie, you can certainly add more crushed graham crackers to your shake! I also strongly suggest making a graham cracker rim for extra yumminess.
- You can transfer the tequila milkshake to an ice cream container and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months. I like to triple the recipe and keep them in the freezer to have on hand when I need a boozy little treat at the end of the day. It’s the best idea ever, and I strongly suggest you follow my lead!
FAQs: milkshakes with booze
Can you make key lime milkshakes in advance?
Yes! Blend the milkshake according to recipe directions and then transfer the key lime rum cream drinks to a freezer-safe air-tight container and store in the freezer until you are ready to use. The addition of booze helps keep the mixture from freezing all the way through, so it’ll stay roughly soft-serve consistency.
Make sure you let the frozen key lime pie drink mixture sit out for about 5 minutes or so to soften so you can easily pour it into serving glasses!
How do you make a milkshake thick?
The secret is all about balancing out the frozen ingredients with the liquid ones. If you shakes feel a little too loose, you can either add a bit more ice cream to the mix and reblend, or pop them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour to get frostier and firmer.
Serving boozy milkshakes recipe
Ready to take a delicious twist on a classic dessert? Let’s talk about serving up your fantastic Boozy Key Lime Pie Milkshakes in ways that’ll have everyone cheering for another round. 🥧🍹
- Tropical Luau Party: Hosting a tropical-themed get-together? Serve your Boozy Key Lime Pie Milkshakes in coconut half-shells. Rim the edges with toasted coconut for that extra flair. Garnish with a mini paper umbrella and a slice of fresh key lime on the rim. Your guests will feel like they’re sipping paradise in a glass!
- Dessert Bar Delight: If you’re throwing a dessert bar extravaganza, set up a “Shake Your Own Adventure” station. Provide various toppings like crushed graham crackers, zesty lime wedges, colorful sprinkles, and even a selection of mini liqueur bottles for an extra splash of boozy fun. Let everyone customize their milkshake masterpiece!
- Movie Night Magic: Planning a cozy movie night at home? Transform your Boozy Key Lime Pie Milkshakes into the star of the show. Serve them in vintage-style soda fountain glasses with long spoons for easy sipping and scooping. Pair these treats with classic popcorn for the ultimate movie snack combo.
- Beachy Bonfire Bliss: Headed to the beach for a bonfire evening? Pack your milkshakes in insulated tumblers to keep them frosty. Bring along a small portable cooler with crushed ice and let guests help themselves. After roasting marshmallows, gather ’round the fire and enjoy the tangy-sweet goodness of your Key Lime Pie Milkshakes against the backdrop of crashing waves.
- Fancy Friday Night: Elevate your milkshake game for a fancier dinner party. Serve your creations in elegant martini glasses for a sophisticated twist. Rim the glass edges with salted graham cracker crumbs, and garnish with a thin lime wheel perched on the rim. Your guests will be wowed by this dessert cocktail concoction!
Storing leftover shakes
- Leftovers of your boozy milkshakes can be transferred to an airtight container and frozen for up to 2 months. Allow to defrost at room temp for about 5 minutes to return to a pourable consistency, or dive right in with a spoon for boozy soft serve. 🍦
- For virgin key lime shakes, pour leftovers into popsicle molds. Without the booze in there, they’ll freeze harder, making them perfect for ice cream bars.
As you embark on your Boozy Key Lime Pie Milkshake journey, remember that the zest is yet to come! So go ahead, whip up a smile and raise a glass to this slurpable slice of pie-fection. Cheers to liming and dining with a twist that’s as sweet as it is tangy! Until next time, stay sweet, stay zesty, and keep on shaking it, you milkshake maestro!
Craving MORE? For more tasty recipe inspiration, be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. You can also get all of my newest content delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for my email newsletter.
More key lime recipes!
More recipes with ice cream!
The best Key Lime Pie Milkshake recipe👇
- 1 High Powered Blender
- 3 1/2 Cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- ¼ Cup Irish Cream Liqueur (SEE NOTES for non-boozy milkshake)
- 3 TBS Lime Vodka (SEE NOTES for non-boozy milkshake)
- 3 TBS Key Lime Juice
- 2 TBS Tequila (SEE NOTES for non-boozy milkshake)
- 2 TBS Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 ½ Sheets Graham Crackers
- 1/2 -1 tsp Key Lime Zest - OPTIONAL (see notes)
- 3 TBS Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Graham Crackers - crushed
- Optional Garnishes: Graham Crackers, Lime Zest, Homemade Whipped Cream
- For the Rim: Place the sweetened condensed milk in a small, shallow dish dish. Place the crushed graham crackers in a second small, shallow dish. Dip the rim of each glass into the condensed milk, twirling to coat. Then, dip the rim into the crushed crackers to evenly coat. Transfer the glasses to the freezer until ready to serve.
- For the Milkshake: Place all the ingredients for the milkshake into a high-powered blender. Process until well blended, but still thick, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve: Divide the milkshakes between the prepared glasses. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with lime zest and crushed graham crackers. Enjoy!
- If you want to make this milkshake NON boozy, increase the amount of lime juice to 1/4 of a cup. Eliminate ALL of the alcohol and substitute 1/2 cup of milk. Follow recipe as instructed.
- For a milkshake with a stronger key lime flavor, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lime zest!
- Coconut Lime Shakes: If you are a fan of coconut, these lime shakes taste really delicious with the addition of coconut rum (Malibu) and a toasted coconut garnish! Add 1 TBS Coconut Rum (Malibu) to the milkshake recipe.
- If you want a strong key lime flavor, increase the amount of key lime juice in the shake to 1/4 of a cup and swap out the tequila for more lime vodka.
- Graham Crackers: I found exactly 1 ½ full sheets of graham crackers to be the perfect amount to give the shake a pie crust taste without being over whelming. However, if the crust is your favorite part of the pie, you can certainly add more crushed graham crackers to your shake!
- Storing: You can transfer the milkshake to an ice cream container and keep these milkshakes in the freezer for up to 2 months. I have been making these shakes for the past few months, tripling the amount and keeping them in the freezer to have on hand when I need a boozy little treat at the end of the day. It’s the best idea ever, and I strongly suggest you follow my lead!
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any images without prior permission. Please do not republish this recipe. If you want to reference this recipe please do so by linking directly to this post.