Healthy and hearty – this Chicken Black Bean Soup is made in one pot with just nine ingredients and ready in under 25 minutes. Featuring plump black beans simmered in a flavorful salsa infused broth with plenty of tender white meat chicken, this soup recipe is quick and easy to prepare – without sacrificing flavor!
Featured comment: Our family loves your soup recipe!” -Melissa
Update: This post was originally published in January 2017. I made edits to the photos and added a step-by-step recipe video to show you JUST how easy this black bean soup with chicken is to make at home!
Hello, friends! Happy second week of the New Year! A friend recently reminded me that January is National Soup Month. This is excellent news because I happen to have a whole bunch of cozy, warming, belly-filling soups to share with you guys. And, we are going to start this soup party with one of my personal favorite soups of all time – black beans soup with chicken. YUM!
About this black bean chicken soup
Make that super SPEEDY and ridiculously EASY black bean and chicken soup. This recipe is ready, from prep to finish in 25 minutes or less. And, made in just one pot. Did you just lose your mind? Don’t worry about finding it, because YES, you absolutely read all that correctly. This black beans chicken soup is ridiculous in the very best way.
Featuring smoky, earthy, savory and cozy comforting flavors, this crazy easy soup has a silky, salsa-broth base with chunks of chicken and heaps of black beans.
If you want to take things to the next level of yum (because ummm who DOESN’T?), I highly suggest you load it up with ALL the toppings – diced avocado, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, crunchy tortilla strips, sliced jalapenos and a dollop (or three) of sour cream.
Hearty, yet healthy and loaded with flavor, this black bean and chicken soup has swiftly become my family’s cozy soup favorite.
Why you’ll love this soup recipe!
- Ridiculously quick. Move aside 30 minute meals, this soup is ready in under 25.
- Ridiculously easy. One pot and simple ingredients are all you need to get this bean and chicken soup on the table.
- And, ridiculously delicious. This recipe has been duplicated many times, but never perfectly replicated. Get the original here!
What is chicken and black bean soup?
Black bean soup is a simple soup traditionally made with black beans, broth or stock, flavorful spices and fresh aromatics. It’s an easy and economical soup recipe to prepare at home and you can use either canned or dry beans.
Variations include this chicken and black beans soup, which involves the addition of tender white meat chicken and diced tomatoes (salsa).
Ingredients in black beans chicken soup
The ingredients for this black beans chicken soup are super simple to find. In fact, you may already have most of these ingredients in your pantry. If not, don’t worry. You can locate all these ingredients in any well-stocked grocery store. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Oil – You’ll just need your regular olive oil for sautéing.
- Aromatics – A medium yellow onion and fresh garlic cloves lend a depth of flavor.
- Spices – A combination of cumin, chili powder, kosher salt and ground black pepper all provide flavor.
- Black beans – Black beans are the start of this soup recipe. You can use either dried beans that you have cooked at home, or a can of black beans, depending upon your preference.
- Chicken – This recipe calls for cooked chicken breast. However, chicken thighs work fine as well. Thighs are more flavorful and tend to be slightly cheaper, depending upon where you do your grocery shopping.
- Salsa – This easy soup skips the prepwork of de-seeding and dicing fresh tomatoes. Instead, you’ll just need to pop open a can of tomato salsa. I recommend chunky salsas for the best results.
- Substitution: Feel free to seed and dice fresh tomatoes instead.
- Stock – Low-sodium stock lends a richer mouthfeel than broth, which is why this recipe calls for vegetable or chicken stock.
- Substitution: A bullion cube is the best substitution here; however, chicken broth and veggie broth are fine too.
- Herbs – Fresh cilantro adds a touch of vibrant freshness that finishes this soup perfectly.
- Substitution: If you’re averse to cilantro, swap in fresh parsley
- Spice it up: If you like your soup with a little heat, try using a hot or medium salsa instead of mild.
- Spicy Peppers – This black bean soup has a Southwestern-flare so it lends its self well to spicy flavors. Another way to turn up the spicy heat is by throwing adding in chile peppers. Diced jalapeno peppers, poblano peppers, or even serrano peppers work great.
- How to add it to recipe – Add the peppers along with the onions in step one of the recipe.
- All the flavor – I encourage you to play around with this chicken bean soup recipe and make it your own. Earthy spices and seasonings such as ground coriander and oregano pair well here.
- Veggies – Fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels and red bell peppers are one of my favorite additions to this soup.
- How to add it to recipe – Add the corn and bell pepper along with the black beans in step 2 of the recipe.
Tips for the best black beans chicken soup
- Salsa: I highly recommend you use a chunky salsa in this chicken black bean soup recipe. Also, the salsa lends robust flavor to this soup, so make sure you are using a store-bought or homemade recipe you love. If I’m buying salsa for this soup recipe I like tend to use Tostitos Cantina Roasted Garlic. I’m not getting paid to say that, I’m just being honest.
- Chicken: This southwest chicken and black bean soup calls for cooked chicken. Rotisserie chicken, pre-cooked chicken, or leftover cooked chicken breasts are your easiest option. Or, you can do I what I do for meal prepping and slow cook or poach a bunch of chicken breasts to have on hand for easy meals like this soup.
- Dry Beans: You can swap out the can of beans for dried black beans instead. However, you’ll need to soak and cook them in advance.
- Adjust to taste: I always recommend playing around with the recipe and making it your own. Try new seasonings, swap out the chicken breast for dark meat chicken thigh, and play around with your toppings to customize this black beans soup to your specific tastes.
Serving chicken soup with black beans
This chicken and black bean soup is hearty enough to serve as a stand-alone meal, especially if you load it up with toppings. However, it pairs great with bread, leafy salads, and more. Below are some of my family’s favorite dishes to accompany this soup.
- All the toppings. Garnishes add color, texture, and delicious flavor to a soup. Basically, toppings can make a soup go from good to exceptional. A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, sliced scallions. grated Mexican cheese, jalapeno coins, and avocado are all perfect toppers for a bowl of this piping hot soup.
- Chips, Dip and Guac: Since this black bean and chicken soup has a distinct Mexican-flare, salty chips, pico de gallo and a bowl of guacamole are always a welcome pairing option.
- Bread: I’m partial to cheesy jalapeno cornbread here; however, any crusty bread works well with soup.
- Salads: Anything from your favorite simple side salad or green salad, to avocado corn salad and tomato salad work perfectly here.
Cozy, comforting, quick and easy, this Black Bean & Chicken Soup is the perfect way to celebrate National Soup Month.
Until next week friends, cheers! To soup-erb eats!
More black bean recipes!
More soups with beans!
One Pot Easy Chicken & Black Bean Soup Recipe. (Plus, step-by-step video!) 👇
Black Bean Soup with Chicken
- 1 Dutch Oven or Large Soup Pot
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion – diced (SEE NOTES)
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- 2 tsp EACH: Ground Cumin & Chili Powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups Chunky Salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 3 Cups Cooked Chicken – shredded or chopped
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro – chopped, plus more for garnish
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Optional Garnishes: Diced Avocado, Sliced Green Onions, Sour Cream, Sliced Jalapeños, Shredded Cheese, Tortilla Strips
- Saute onions and aromatics: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pot and season generously with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add in garlic, ground cumin and chili powder. Sauté, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add in remaining ingredients, except cilantro: Add the black beans, salsa, stock and cooked chicken to the pot. Stir to combine and then increase heat to high to bring the soup to a boil.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add herbs, adjust taste: Add in the fresh cilantro and stir to combine. Taste the black bean chicken soup and adjust for seasoning.
- Serve: Ladle the warm soup into serving bowls and top with optional garnishes. Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Salsa: I highly recommend you use a salsa on the chunky side and if you are purchasing it, versus making it, buy one you love. The salsa is a large part of this recipe, so just make sure you are using one you adore. If I’m buying my salsa for this soup I like this brand and flavor – Tostitos Cantina Roasted Garlic. I’m not getting paid to say that, I’m just being honest. 😉
- Chicken: For the chicken, you can make your own or purchase cooked chicken. And, you can either use chicken breast or dark meat in this recipe. Rotisserie chicken comes in handy here. Or, you can do what I do and slow cook, or sous vide, a bunch of chicken breasts to have on hand for easy meals like these.
- Spicy soup: If you like your soup with a little heat, you can either use a spicy salsa, or you can add a diced jalapeno to the soup at the same time you add the onion.
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe please do not list instructions, instead link directly back to this post.