Garlic & Rosemary Chicken Skewers. Tender garlic chicken threaded on a rosemary skewer with a creamy lemon aioli.
Happy Friday! Is it just me or has this week been extremely long?? In my last post, I told you all that Boy received some bad news, but I never disclosed exactly what that news was. I believe I now have the liberty to spill the beans (if not, oops!)
After dedicating 17 years to a company, and operating as their GM, Boy’s employer decided to sell and they were bought out by a larger company. For Boy, this meant starting over at the bottom of the ladder, and he had to start on that bottom rung the very next work day. No fair warning was given. We all know life can be unjust, and I appreciate those of you who wished us well. Thank you for providing your support and cheer! I heart you guys! But, have no fear. Boy and I are not the type of people to simply, and metaphorically, accept a batch of moldy lemons. We will turn them into a refreshing lemonade, which will hopefully be spiked with a bright and shiny future. 🙂
Now on to the good stuff. Food! This is the first post, of a grilling series, I will be sporadically sharing with you guys throughout the summer. Boy and I have been debating what to hashtag this little series of mine, and so far the front runner is #NSNThrill4UrGrill. I’m still on the fence, and racking my brain over this. I’d love your opinion or suggestions!
Anyways, this series will be dedicated to providing you guys with some of my favorite recipes perfect for your next BBQ hoe-down. Starting now, with these – Garlic and Rosemary Chicken Skewer with Lemon Aioli.
These chicken skewers take kebabs to a new, fun level. By ditching the traditional wooden, or metal skewers, and replacing them with rosemary sprigs, these kebabs are something I like to call easy elegance. Not only does the rosemary make for a prettier presentation, it also imparts flavor into the chicken. #Winning.
But, these rosemary skewers are more than just festive fun for your grill, they also taste fabulously delicious. Thanks to the marinade, the chicken is earthy, lemony, slightly garlicy, a smidge salty and scrumptiously savory. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast for my skewers, because the marinade keeps the chicken juicy and prevents it from drying out on the grill, unless you over cook it! However, feel free to substitute chicken thigh for a meatier tasting kebab, simply increase your grill time by a minute or two.
As you all know by now, I can’t go a second without a tasty sauce or dressing to accompany my meal. So, of course I whipped together a lemon aioli to dip these skewers into. The aioli is creamy, earthy, tart and downright delish! It accompanies these skewers perfectly. Boy and I were practically licking the bowl clean, which is something I do often, but Boy is normally more refined. Therefore, you know this aioli is off the hook… so you might want to make extra. 🙂
On top of all that good stuff, these chicken skewers with aioli only take 30 minutes of hands on time to prepare and cook, making these perfect for your next BBQ shindig. Join me in grilling up some delicious fun, and throw some chicken on the Barbie rosemary! Until next time, happy skewering! Cheers!
P.S. If you are wondering what to do with the extra rosemary leaves you stripped off the sprigs to form the skewers, I highly suggest you utilize them to make this No Knead Goat Cheese, Pistachio & Rosemary Focaccia!
Garlic Rosemary Chicken Skewers
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic – smashed & peeled
- 1 TBS reduced sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 TBS Fresh Rosemary Leaves - minced
- 1 TBS Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest (about ½ a lemon)
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ¾ tsp Onion Powder
- ¾ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 pounds Chicken Breast – cut into 1 ½’’ pieces
- 8-10 (10’’) Rosemary Sprigs – leaves removed from bottom 2/3rds
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Clove Garlic – minced
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tsp Rosemary Leaves – minced
- ¼ tsp Salt , or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp Pepper , or more to taste
- Optional For Serving: Lemon wedges, Crushed Red pepper Flakes
- Marinate the Chicken: Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Place cubes of chicken in a large resealable bag and pour in marinade. Turn chicken to thoroughly coat. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight, turning periodically.
- Soak Rosemary: Place large rosemary skewers into a shallow baking dish, cover with water and allow to soak at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Prepare the Aioli: Combine all aioli ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine. Transfer to small, covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare Chicken Skewers: Remove the rosemary skewers from water and the chicken from the marinade. Thread chicken onto the rosemary skewers, discarding marinade.
- Cook Chicken: Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Oil the grates and grill chicken skewers, turning halfway through cook time, until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 8 -10 minutes.
- Rest & Serve: Let skewers rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve chicken skewers with aioli, crushed red pepper flakes for seasoning and lemon wedges.