This Ginger Pear Cocktail is fruity and slightly sweet with notes of warm ginger flavor and a generous splash of smooth bourbon. Effervescent and refreshing yet cozy and warming, this fall bourbon cocktail with pears complements any number of appetizers, snacks and starters.
Featured comment: This is an incredible tasting drink. I have made this several times in the past couple weeks – a fan favorite for my wife and I – using nectar or juice. Happy with either.” – R. Thatcher
Update: This post was originally published in September 2016. I made edits to the post below to include more information about making this cocktails with pears at home.
Hi, friends! I hope you are ready to get your adult drink on, because today we are making the most fabulous pear cocktail. Often replicated, but never truly duplicated, this ginger pear cocktail recipe is uniquely delicious. Easy to prepare and even easier to sip, you’ll love the simplicity of this mixed bourbon drink.
About this cocktail with pears
Fresh pears! Is it just me or are pears the most under–appreciated early fall fruit? It seems like everyone is in such a hurry to pick apples or pluck pumpkins that they forget about the humble, yet truly delicious pear. Well, today we are fixing that problem. And, adding some booze for good measure, because why not. Enter today’s fall bourbon cocktail – an amazing ginger pear mixed drink.
Featuring mellow, fruity pears; warming fresh ginger; tart lemon, a touch of sweet honey simple syrup, a generous splash of boozy bourbon and splash of bubbly ginger ale, this alcoholic drink is early fall in cocktail form!
Warm and cozy, yet fruity and sweet with the perfect hint of bubbles, this pear cocktail checks all the right boxes!
So, what are you waiting for? I’m pretty sure it’s 5 o’clock somewhere.
Why you’ll love this ginger bourbon pear cocktail
- Flavorful! This spiced pear cocktail is fruity, sweet, refreshing and effervescent, yet cozy and warming at the same time. It’s a delicious way to enjoy the flavors of fall.
- Pears! Don’t give apple and pumpkin recipes all the love. The humble pear deserves some time in the spotlight too!
Ingredients for this pear drink
- Bourbon – You can use whatever bourbon you love. For this mixed drink, I prefer to use liquor that boasts citrus, vanilla, and oak flavors because it complements the flavors in this fall cocktail.
- Substitution: If you are fresh out of bourbon, the best substitutes for bourbon in this pear drink are whiskey, brandy, pear brandy, rum, and cognac.
- Pear Juice – You can use either pear juice or pear nectar (pear puree) for this drink recipe. You can locate both in the drink aisle of most grocery stores. However, if you can’t find it, it’s easy to make homemade pear nectar yourself!
- Fresh Lemon Juice – Tart citrus juice balances the fruity, sweet flavors found in this drink.
- Ginger Ale – A touch of bubbly ginger ale lends beautiful effervescence.
- Substitution – Make your drink more boozy by swapping out the ginger ale for ginger beer.
- Simple Syrup – A combination of honey, fresh ginger and water perfectly sweetens this pear cocktail recipe.
- Garnishes – While entirely optional, cocktail garnishes are the perfect way to customize your drink. They not only add visual appeal, but they can intensify or complement the flavors of your beverage. I typically garnish this pear cocktail with some of the following: slices of pear, candied ginger, lemon wheel, fresh sprig of thyme, and / or a cinnamon stick.
- Non-Alcoholic Pear Drink – Are you looking for a virgin spiced pear cocktail recipe? You can use a splash of pure vanilla extract OR a mixture of apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to mimic the bourbon. However, make sure you start with a very small amount – do NOT swap the alcohol out in a 1:1 ratio.
- Vodka Pear Cocktail – Prefer light liquor to dark? Nix the bourbon and use pear vodka instead.
How to make a pear cocktail
This ginger pear drink is easier than pie to shake together. Here’s how it’s done:
For the simple syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine the combine honey, water and fresh ginger. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the honey dissolves into water, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove and set aside to steep for 20 minutes. Strain into a container, discarding ginger. Cover the container and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the fall bourbon cocktail
To a cocktail shaker, add the bourbon (whiskey), pear juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. Vigorously shake until the metal tin is cool to the touch.
Add ice to a cocktail glass and pour the ginger whiskey over the top. Next, pour in the ginger ale to top off the glass.
Garnish your cocktail glass with a slice of pear and a lemon twist, peel or wedge. To take your pear ginger cocktail over the top, skewer a few pieces of crystallized ginger on cocktail pick to adorn the glass. Enjoy!
Tips for the best pear cocktails
- Always make your cocktails to taste! The measurements for this pear alcohol drink are just my recommendations. Use the recipe below as a cocktail guideline, and not the Ginger & Pear Bourbon Splash rule book. Like more bourbon? Add more! Like your cocktail sweeter? Use a heavier hand with the honey simple syrup. Really love the taste of ginger? Top your cocktail off with a few ounces of ginger ale. Do you people.
- Quick simple syrup: If you are feeling particularly lazy, you don’t need to use the stove for the honey simple syrup. You can just use a Mason jar and HOT water. Add the hot water, honey and ginger to the jar and shake vigorously until the honey dissolves. Set it aside to steep for at least 20 minutes before using in this pear cocktail recipe.
- The ginger honey simple syrup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, so feel free to make a double batch. It tastes delicious added to tea. Or, you could just have it on hand for all your bourbon cocktail and pear punch needs.
- Cocktail garnish: The crystalized ginger compliments this fall bourbon cocktail perfectly, so if you have some on hand I definitely recommend you use it!
Storing bourbon fall cocktail
The honey ginger simple syrup will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 weeks, so it’s easy to make in advance.
You should enjoy this ginger pear cocktail immediately, as storing is not recommended.
Stay cozy and quench your thirst in yummy fall style with a ginger pear bourbon cocktail or two! Until next week friends, cheers! *Clinks all around*
More cozy fall cocktails!
If you are searching for more cozy fall cocktails, check out these delicious fan favorites:
More recipes using pears!
Do you love this pear juice drink? Try these delicious savory recipes with pears next:
How to make a Ginger Whiskey Cocktail with Pears 👇
Pear Cocktail with Ginger and Bourbon
- 1 Small Saucepan OR Mason Jar (for making honey simple syrup)
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Cocktail Glass
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 2 ounces Pear Nectar or Juice
- ½ whole Lemon – juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 ounce Ginger Honey Simple Syrup (SEE BELOW)
- Ginger Ale - to taste
Ginger Honey Simple Syrup: (enough for 2 cocktails)
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 1’’ piece Fresh Ginger – peeled and thinly sliced
- Optional Garnishes: Crystallized Ginger, thinly sliced Pear, Lemon Wedges
- Make the simple syrup: In a small saucepan combine honey, water and ginger. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring, until honey dissolves into water. Remove from heat and set aside to steep for 20 minutes. Strain into a container, discarding ginger, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix the cocktail: Combine bourbon, pear juice, lemon and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Vigorously shake until chilled.
- Top with ginger ale: Pour over ice in a cocktail glass and top with a bit of ginger ale.
- Garnish and serve: Adorn your cocktail glass with pear slices, a lemon wedge and a few pieces of crystallized ginger on a skewer. Enjoy!
- Ginger Honey Simple Syrup will keep, covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.