Easy, simple homemade flour tortillas! Only 7 minutes and 10 minutes of hands on prep stand between you and perfect tortillas! These are a million times better than the store bought variety and your family will love them!!
I feel like whenever people see the words ‘Homemade’ or ‘From Scratch’ in a recipe title they go running for the hills or they hide underneath a table or in a closet.
And, most people definitely click on the ‘next page’ button and keep their Web browsing moving along, without even reading the directions to see how easy or difficult the recipe is.
Please give me peace of mind and tell me you are not one of these people. Pretty please?
In case you are, I want you to know you are seriously missing out. Not only is food made from scratch significantly more tasty, most of the time it is actually CHEAPER to make it yourself. And who doesn’t like to save money while also noshing on a more scrumptious end product? Not this girl!
These flour tortillas are a prime example of how a small amount of time and effort is totally worth your while. These only require a few cups of flour, a couple pantry staples, and a little heavy cream. Most people will have all of the ingredients already at home begging to be turned into delicious flour tortillas.
Also, these only require minimal effort to cook. Just pull up a chair and play with your phone or tablet as you flip the tortillas every minute-minute and a half.
If you have a large flat griddle you can certainly use that instead of a cast iron pan, which will allow you to cook more tortillas at a time and significantly reduce your overall cook time.
So stop hiding or running scared and give homemade tortillas a try. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Besides, you will also be able to pat yourself on the back because you possibly conquered a fear or you simply accomplished making something from scratch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Inactive Time: 40 minutes Cook Time: 2-3 minutes each (total cook time: roughly 36 minutes) Total Time: 85-90 minutes Yield: 18 Tortillas
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- ¾ Cup Hot Water
- ¼ Cup Warm Heavy Cream
- In the bowl of a standing mixer affixed with the dough hook attachment, combine flours, salt, and baking powder until combined.
- Add oil with the mixer running at medium speed and mix for 1-2 minutes, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add hot water and warm heavy cream, while mixer is still running at medium speed. Mix for another 1-2 minutes, until mixture starts to come together and form a ball.
- Decrease speed to low and continue to mix until dough completely comes together and forms a smooth ball.
- Transfer ball to a floured work surface and lightly knead for 30 seconds.
- Cover with plastic wrap, or a damp cloth, and allow to rest for 30 minutes. **Dough can be wrapped and refrigerated overnight at this point. Just allow dough to sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before proceeding to the next step.**
- Divide the dough into 18 pieces with a bench scraper (or a sharp knife). Start by dividing dough in half, and keep halving each piece until you get 18 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball in the palms of your hands. Place on a plate or work surface, not touching, and again cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest again for 10 minutes.
- One at a time, on a floured work surface, pat each ball into a 4’’ circle. Using a rolling pin, working from the center out, roll until the circle is thin and about 7-8’’ in diameter. Continue to flour the board as needed when rolling out if the dough starts to stick. Do not over roll dough or it will be stiff!
- In a dry cast iron skillet (or a large non-stick skillet or griddle), over high heat, cook the tortillas (one at a time) until tortilla starts to form bubbles, about 1 minute. Flip over and cook an additional minute, until small golden brown blister spots have appeared on both sides.
- Remove from heat, stack on a plate, and keep the cooked tortillas covered with a cloth until ready to serve.
Inactive Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes each tortilla (total cook time will depend on how you cook these - individually in a skillet or in batches on a large griddle) Total
Yield: 18 Tortillas
*If not using tortillas right away, allow to cool completely and place in a large Ziploc bag (or tuber ware). They will keep at room temperature for 24 hours, can be refrigerated for up to 2 days, or can be frozen for up to 2 months.