This homemade Greek seasoning recipe is the perfect way to add authentic flavor to any dish! This DIY spice blend is made with pantry staples and easily mixed together in minutes! It’s a simple and fast way to add robust Greek flavor to all your favorite foods .(Vegan, Gluten-free, Whole 30, Paleo and Keto-compliant)
Quick Navigation - Table of Contents
About this homemade Greek seasoning
This dry Greek spice blend is savory in taste with a warm, earthy, grassy flavor and minty, slightly peppery and sweet undertones.
This multi-purpose Greek blend is easy to make and a simple way to add appetizing flavor to a variety recipes! From chicken and fish to salads and vegetables, you are going to want to sprinkle this seasoning on everything!
While store-bought seasonings can contain gluten, MSG and unhealthy additives, this DIY blend is healthy for you and free of harmful ingredients!
Made with simple pantry ingredients, this mix is a great way to use up leftover spices you have in your pantry!
What is Greek seasoning?
Greek spice is a blend of various dried herbs and spices used in Mediterranean cuisines.
The blend typically includes Mediterranean oregano, garlic, onion, dill, parsley, marjoram and thyme. Depending on the blend, other spices such as basil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper may be included.
Are Greek seasonings the same as Mediterranean?
While Greek seasonings and Mediterranean seasonings can be used interchangeably, they are not identical. Greek spice blends typically contain marjoram, which is not found in Mediterranean seasonings. As well, Mediterranean blends generally include cardamom and cloves which are not found in Greek blends.
Are Greece spices gluten free?
This homemade Greek dry seasoning recipe is gluten free as well as vegan, whole 30, paleo and keto-compliant! Plus, this mix contains no MSG! However, many store-bought blends do contain both gluten and MSG, so always be sure to check the label if you are purchasing blends from the grocery store.
What does Greek spice taste like?
Greek seasoning is aromatic and savory in taste with notes of warm, earthy, minty, slightly peppery and sweet flavors.
What’s a good substitute for greek seasonings?
If you don’t have any store-bought Greek seasoning on hand, this easy Greek spice blend is perfect for you! Customize the recipe below with what you have on hand in your pantry to make your own quick and easy Greek seasoning substitute!
How to use Greek spices?
This seasoning is all-purpose. Fragrant and full of flavor, this spice blend is extremely versatile and delicious sprinkled on a wide variety of dishes!
8 ways to use homemade Greek seasonings
- Use it to season Chopped Greek Salads.
- Mix seasonings with olive oil, vinegar and lemon to make a salad dressing.
- Combine Mediterranean spice mix with Greek yogurt and lemon to make a healthy dip for fresh vegetables.
- Roast Vegetables: Toss your favorite veggies with oil and Greek seasonings. Then, roast them in the oven for a super simple side dish, like these roasted greek potatoes!
- Use it to transform boring white rice into the most amazing Greek Lemon Rice.
- For your favorite Greek recipes. Keep it on hand to make family-friendly Mediterranean Pasta with Chicken, Orzo Greek Salad, and this Shrimp Saganaki recipe.
- Use it to season your favorite hummus recipes, like this super easy, super delicious Hummus Chicken Bowl.
- Make a Greek marinade and use it to tenderize and flavor, lamb, turkey, beef, shrimp, salmon, and more!
How to store Greek seasoning blend?
You should store seasoning blends in an airtight container in a cool, dark place away from sunlight and heat. The kitchen pantry or a dark cabinet are great places to store dried spices.
How long will homemade seasonings last?
While seasoning mixes never actually spoil, the dry spices will lose their flavor.
Properly stored, spice blends will last approximately 1-2 years, depending on how fresh the spices used are.
This simple Greek blend is the perfect way to amp up the flavor in any recipe! Made with staple pantry seasonings, you will never go back to grocery store blends again!
Until next week, friends, cheers! To spicing things up a bit!
More seasonings recipes!
Homemade seasoning blends are the easiest way to elevate the flavor of any dish. Try these family favorite recipes next:
- Everything Bagel Spices
- BBQ Dry Rub
- Cajun Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- Hamburger spices
- Jerk Seasoning
- Sazon Seasoning
- Old Bay Homemade
Easy Homemade Greek Seasoning recipe👇
Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend
- 1 Small mixing bowl
- Collect ingredients: Gather and measure all the spices and seasonings.
- Mix ingredients: Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix together. (SEE NOTES)
- Use or Store: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to one year.
- Coarse vs Fine Grain: For a finer textured spice mix, add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or a spice blender and blend or pulse until desired consistency is achieved.
- Using Homemade Greek Spice: Use 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of Greek Seasoning per pound of meat along with olive oil and lemon juice or zest.
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. Please do not publish this recipe without prior consent. To reference this recipe, please link directly to this post.