Slow cooked, crispy, tender chicken coated in a creamy, tangy, sweet honey mustard sauce and topped with fresh, crisp brussels sprouts slaw – these tacos are legitimately delicious and easy to prepare! Hi friends! Happy Thursday… soooo close to the weekend!
I have been thinking <– always a dangerous action, I know.
I am starting to feel like I should probably rename my blog to “Chicken, Breakfast and Bowls”, because I have been posting a lot of that recently. And spoiler alert, I have a few more coming at you. But, there is a foreseeable end to the CBB post roll. I think? All I know is you can blame my tummy and brain, because clearly those three things are all that has been on my hungry mind… along with popcorn and artic zero sprinkled with Stevia.
So, if you guessed that I am sharing one of those things with you today, you guessed right. And you clearly must be psychic. You should play the lottery and cut me in if you win. 😉
But, I decided to spice things up a bit… in the form of tacos, because every sane person loves tacos. Am I right? Of course I am, that’s obviously a rhetorical question. Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken Tacos with Brussels Sprouts Slaw
These tacos are legitimately delicious, my friends. The pieces of chicken are crisp on the outside and fall apart tender on the inside. The honey mustard sauce that lovingly coats these little morsels of chicken is savory, creamy, tangy, slightly sweet and a hint salty. What you end up with is some lip-smacking, delicious nuggets of highly addictive chicken.
You could totally eat the chicken as it is, straight from the slow cooker. Fork, mouth, repeat.
I did exactly that the first time I made this, so I won’t judge, but you will need to trust me when I say this chicken becomes infinitely better shoved into a lightly toasted tortilla and topped with some slaw. But, this isn’t your average, run of the mill coleslaw we are talking about. No, no, no, no, no. Boring!
I made you Brussels sprout slaw. Thinly shredded, nutritiously packed brussels sprouts and red cabbage mixed with shallots, parmesan, lemon and almonds; and tossed with a bit of homemade, creamy dreamy honey mustard sauce. This slaw is crisp, crunchy, nutty, and 100% delicious.
I was eating the slaw for lunch long after I ran out of chicken, it is just that delicious.ButButBut, not only are these tacos damn delicious, they are also easy-peasy thanks to the trusty slow cooker.
Simply coat the chicken in a bit of cornstarch and sauté, to get a nice crisp coating, then transfer it to the slow cooker, and add your remaining ingredients. Cover and cook. While the chicken is taking a honey mustard bath in the slow cooker, use your food processor to shred the brussels and cabbage, then mix everything together. Finally, pile all that deliciousness into some warm, toasty tortillas.
Slow cooked, crispy, tender chicken coated in a creamy, tangy, sweet honey mustard sauce and topped with fresh, crisp brussels sprouts slaw - these tacos are legitimately delicious and easy to prepare!
- Tortillas , for serving
- 2 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – Cubed into 1’’ pieces (can substitute thighs)
- 3 TBS Cornstarch
- 1 TBS Canola Oil
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic – minced
- ½ Large Yellow Onion – finely diced
- ¾ Cup Honey
- 1/3 heaping Cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 Cup Mustard
- 1 TBS Unsalted Butter
- 2 TBS Chicken Stock
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- Brussels Slaw:
- ½ Pound Brussels Sprouts – trimmed and shredded*
- 1/3 small Red Cabbage – cored and shredded (can substitute radicchio)
- ½ Cup Almonds
- ½ Lemon - Juice & Zest
- 1 small Shallot – chopped
- ¼ Cup Parmesan – freshly grated
- Salt & Pepper , to taste
- Honey Mustard Dressing (Optional):
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 TBS Honey
- 1 TBS Dijon
- 2 tsp Mustard
- For the Chicken: In a large Ziploc bag add pieces of chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Shake until chicken is well coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer chicken a paper towel lined plate to drain, then transfer to the slow cooker. Add remaining honey mustard ingredients (garlic through rosemary). Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 2-2 ½ hours, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove rosemary sprig and discard.
- Meanwhile, Make the Dressing: In a small bowl whisk all ingredients together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Set aside in the refrigerator
- Make the Slaw: Place all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Toss with 1/2 of the honey mustard dressing*. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss again and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.*
- To Serve: Spoon chicken onto tortillas, top with slaw and drizzle with additional sauce. Enjoy!
*TO easily shred the brussels sprouts use the shredder blade attachment on your food processor. Or you can shred them by hand.
*You can toss the slaw with ¼ cup of the honey mustard sauce from the slow cooker instead of making the honey mustard dressing if desired.
*Slaw and sauce taste best if the flavors are allowed to marry in the refrigerator for at least an hour, up to 24 hours.
*Nutritional Information includes everything but tortillas.
You Might Also Like: