This Honey Mustard Chicken is the most delicious, melt-in-your-mouth baked chicken recipe I’ve ever tried. Juicy chicken breasts are baked in an incredible Chick-fil-A inspired honey mustard sauce for a simple meal that takes less than 30 minutes to get on the table. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
About this mustard chicken recipe
If you love easy recipes and melt-in-your-mouth chicken (MIYM Chicken), then you will love this delicious chicken breast recipe! Made with just chicken breasts and a smattering of pantry staples, this simple baked Honey Mustard Chicken recipe is my weeknight dream meal. It literally takes just 5 minutes of prep (or 10 minutes, if you decide to make your own creamy honey mustard sauce) and a quick bout in the oven to get this family-friendly dinner on the table.
Why you’ll love this recipe
A glorious combination of tangy, sweet honey mustard and savory chicken breasts, this kid-friendly honey mustard chicken is sure to become a family favorite! This honey dijon chicken recipe is everything below and more!
- Made with simple ingredients. You can make restaurant-quality mustard chicken breasts (or thighs!) at home with just a few basic ingredients!
- Quick & Easy. This fast and flavorful chicken recipe is 100% fuss-free and absolutely fool-proof to prepare!
- Takes Less Than 5 Minutes! You only need 5 minutes of hands on preparation, the oven does the rest of the work for you.
- Allergen-Friendly. This honey and mustard chicken is gluten free, soy free and dairy free. (Always double check your product labels to ensure they are in fact allergen-friendly!)
- Wholesome & Delicious. This juicy baked chicken breast recipe is fast, flavorful, and never dry! It’s a nourishing chicken dinner you can feel good feeding your family.
- Meal-Prep Friendly. Season the chicken and soak them in the honey mustard marinade up to 1 day in advance.
Ingredients for honey mustard chicken
You don’t need much to make this crazy delicious honey dijon chicken recipe. Here’s what you’ll want to gather:
- Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce – Homemade honey mustard sauce takes just 5 minutes and some basic pantry ingredients.
- Substitution: If you want to save some time or hassle, feel free to swap in your favorite mayo-based store-bought sauce instead!
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – When cooked just right, nothing is quite as tasty as juicy white meat chicken. Be sure to pound out the breasts to an even thickness to ensure even cooking.
- Substitution: You can easily swap in boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chicken tenders, or even wings if you prefer.
- Garlic Powder & Onion Powder – These granulated alliums bring big flavor without any sticky fingers or tears, making them my power couple of weeknight cooking.
- Smoked Paprika – I love adding a bit of smoky goodness to this honey and mustard chicken.
- Substitution: You can use hot Hungarian paprika for a sweet-heat flavor, or use regular sweet paprika instead.
- Italian Seasoning – Made with a mix of Italian herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme, this spice-cabinet staple adds a bunch of flavor with just one bottle.
This simple honey mustard chicken recipe is pure weeknight perfection if you ask me. That said, there’s always room to customize recipes to your liking! Here are a few of my favorite mustard chicken variations to consider:
- Spicy. If you’re among the some who like it hot, add some spice by adding up to a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the mix. YOWZA!
- Crunchy. Add a crisp-ity, crunch-ity topping to your mustard chicken by scattering ½ cup of panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) over the top of your marinated chicken right before baking.
- Honey Mustard Wings. If you’re in the mood for a dinner you can eat with just your fingers, substitute chicken wings for breasts. Note that these can be made in the oven or crockpot.
How make honey and mustard chicken
Making this mustard chicken recipe is super easy and fuss-free!
- Combine seasonings: Grab a few spices from your pantry and mix them together in a small bowl.
- Season chicken breasts: Pat the chicken dry and season both sides evenly with the spice mix.
- Arrange chicken in baking pan: Grease a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and arrange the chicken in an even, single layer.
- Add honey mustard: Pour most of honey mustard sauce evenly over the chicken breasts, reserving 1/4 cup for later. (Optional: If you like a crispy topping, sprinkle ½ cup of breadcrumbs evenly over the chicken breasts.)
- Bake: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil, pour remaining honey mustard dressing over chicken. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the thickest part of the breast reads 165-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rest: Remove honey mustard chicken from the oven and lightly tent the casserole dish with foil. Allow the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve: Garnish your mustard chicken breasts with fresh parsley or basil and enjoy!
FAQ: Frequently asked questions
How do I know when my mustard chicken is done?
Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F for food safety. That said, I recommend pulling it out of the oven when it hits around 160°F, as it will keep cooking from the ambient heat.
What is the best way to pound out chicken?
I personally like to get out my plastic cutting board, a large zip-top bag, two pieces of plastic wrap, or parchment paper, and a meat pounder. Place the chicken between the plastic or parchment, then use the pounder like a hammer to slowly and gently ease the chicken breast into an even thickness. Don’t strike too hard or you’ll risk splitting the meat. Remember: slow and steady wins the race!
Can I make this honey mustard chicken ahead of time?
You can assemble this dish a day ahead of time! Season and marinate the chicken in honey mustard before covering and storing in the refrigerator (uncooked) for up to 24 hours in advance. Let the chicken come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking as directed.
If you are making your own honey mustard sauce, you can do that up to a week in advance!
Serving suggestions for honey dijon chicken
Once you try this easy recipe for baked mustard chicken, I have a feeling you’ll be making it on repeat. I know I do! As an added bonus, you won’t need much to turn it into a full-blown meal. Some of my favorite things to pair it with include:
- Starches – Serve it next to some creamy rustic mashed potatoes or crispy potato bites, or over a bed of rice, quinoa, or your favorite grain. It also tastes pretty stellar on a bed of pasta or tucked into tacos or a hamburger bun!
- Steamed Veggies – The sweet honey mustard goes particularly well with asparagus, broccoli, green beans, and artichokes, but feel free to use whatever fresh veggie you have on hand.
- Salad – Serve next to spicy coleslaw for a weeknight BBQ vibe, or on top of your favorite entrée salad for a boost of protein.
Perhaps the best thing about this honey and mustard chicken recipe is that it is equally tasty served hot or cold. Make it for dinner one night, then turn it into lunch by making it into a salad or sandwich the next day!
Storing mustard chicken recipe
- Refrigerate: Once baked, honey mustard chicken will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: If you prefer, you can freeze the marinated chicken (either baked or unbaked) for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: To reheat, feel free to zap in the microwave in 45-second increments or heat in a toaster oven at 200F for 10-15 minutes, or until warm.
If you thought juicy, flavorful chicken breasts were a myth, you clearly haven’t tried this simple recipe for baked honey mustard chicken. If you can spare 5-10 minutes to prep, you’ll have a succulent chicken dinner ready in less time than it takes to watch an episode of Ted Lasso. And that, my friends, is what I call a weeknight winner.
If you try this recipe and love it, be sure to rate and review it below or share it with your friends and family. Till next time!
More easy chicken dinners!
- Creamy Florentine Chicken Recipe (30 minute dinner!)
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken (30 minute recipe!)
- Cajun Chicken Recipe (one skillet meal!)
How to make the best honey mustard chicken👇
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- 1 8x11-inch Baking Dish
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 Cup Honey Mustard Sauce - homemade or a quality mayo-based brand; DIVIDED (SEE NOTES)
- 4 small Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – pounded to a ¾ to 1-inch thickness (about 1 ½ pounds) (SEE NOTES)
- 1 tsp EACH: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Smoked Paprika + Italian Seasoning
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper - to taste
- Optional topping: ½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs (crispy topping option)
- Optional garnish: Torn Basil and/or Chopped Flat-Leaf Parsley
- Serving suggestions: Salad, Coleslaw, Rice or Grains, Potatoes, Asparagus, Broccoli.
- Preheat oven and grease pan: Preheat to 375-degrees F convection or 400-degrees F standard. Grease the inside of an 8x11-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. (SEE NOTES)
- Combine chicken seasonings: In a small bowl, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and basil with ¾ teaspoon of salt and a heaping ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Dry and Season chicken: Pat the chicken breasts dry and season both sides evenly with the seasoning mix.
- Add chicken to baking dish: Transfer the chicken breasts to the prepared dish, placing them in an even, single layer (not overlapping.)
- Add sauce: Pour 3/4 cup of honey mustard sauce evenly over the chicken breasts. (Optional: If you like a crispy topping, sprinkle ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs evenly over the chicken breasts.)
- Bake: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil, pour remaining honey mustard over chicken. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the middle of the breast reads 165-degrees.
- Rest: Remove the chicken from the oven and lightly tent the baking dish with foil. Allow the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or basil and enjoy!
- Chicken size: If your chicken breasts are large or over 2 pounds, use a 9x13 pan to cook the chicken. You will need to use more sauce; see photos for reference and use your best judgement.
- Pound out the chicken! To ensure your chicken cooks juicy and even, use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them out to an even ¾ to 1-inch thickness. To make the process mess-free, work with 1 chicken breast at a time and place it into a large resealable bag. Place the bag on your clean work surface and pound the chicken, working from the middle out toward the edges of the chicken breast.
- Honey Mustard Sauce: For the best flavor use a thick and creamy honey mustard sauce. I recommend making your own, but a good-quality brand works too!
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. Please do not republish this recipe without prior consent. To reference this recipe, please link directly to this post.