These Copycat McDonald’s Buffalo Chicken Nuggets are tender on the inside, golden brown n’ crispy on the outside, and full of delicious buffalo hot sauce flavor. Made with chicken breast, seasonings and NO fillers or preservatives, these nuggets are beyond delicious!
How was everyone’s Cinco de Mayo? Did you get your fill of tequila, tacos, burritos, guacamole and salsa? I certainly did! And, I came out the other side about 5 pounds (or more) heavier.
Given this celebratory excess, you would think I would be posting something healthy and light today, right? Wrong.
Despite having two college degrees, no one has ever accused me of being smart. I think it’s the blonde hair? Well, that and I most definitely march to the beat of my own unique drum.
I figured, shoot… I’ve already ate my weight in Mexican food all week long, why not indulge just a wee bit more!? Yeah, I couldn’t think of a good reason either.
Anyways, when it comes to chicken nuggets, my better half will only order and eat them from McDonalds or Chick-fil-A.
Nuggets from a nice restaurant, or café off the kids menu? Forget about it. Don’t ask me why, I stopped trying to understand his quirks years ago.
So, when I wanted to make nuggets, I asked him which fast food joint I should try to recreate. He obviously chose McDonald’s chicken McNuggets. No shocker there.
But, I wanted to put a hot spin on my copycat nuggets recipe, because I am always dipping nuggets (grilled chicken, eggs, my fingers… basically all the things) into hot sauce. I figured, why not flavor the actual nugget with one of my favorite spicy men, Frank?
The resulting nuggets turned out brilliantly and tasted absolutely amazing! Just behold the beautiful nuggets for yourself…
Copycat McDonald’s Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
These nuggets are tender on the inside, golden brown and crispy on the outside, and full of delicious buffalo hot sauce flavor.
However, I’m going to be honest about these superb nuggets. It is a heck of a lot quicker, and easier, to succumb to the fast food drive through Gods demons and order a 10 (or 20) piece from the golden arches than to make these.
But, these are SO MUCH BETTER. Keep reading for why!
What are chicken nuggets made from?
Now, I can’t speak to McDonald’s version of “real white meat”, but these buffalo chicken nuggets are made from real white meat.
And, I’m talking about real, real white meat.
This recipe for copycat chicken nuggets simply contains chicken breast ground in the food processed with no weird additives, fillers or preservatives!
It’s just chicken breast, buffalo hot sauce, melted butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Done and Done.
Who invented chicken nuggets?
The chicken nugget was invented by a professor of poultry science at Cornell University, and chicken savant, Robert C. Baker, in the 1950’s.
Baker published a way to mold ground chicken into any shape without the use of chicken skin as an un-patented academic work.
The bite sized, molded pieces of ground chicken, coated in a batter that remained attached to the chicken during the process of deep-frying was dubbed the “Chicken Crispie” by Baker and his associates.
Thus the birth of the chicken nugget.
Resist the urge to pull up to a drive-thru and join me in making homemade McDonald’s buffalo chicken nuggets.
Just prepare to be amazed and possibly swear off fast food nuggets for life. 🙂
Until next time, Cheers!
How to make Copycat McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets recipe👇
Copycat McDonald's Chicken Nuggets (Buffalo-style)
- Mixing Bowl
- Food Processor
- large skillet
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – cubed (about 1 ½ pounds total)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- 3 TBS - ¼ Cup Franks Hot Sauce (SEE NOTES)
- 1 TBS Butter - melted
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- Peanut Oil for frying (about 1 ½ - 2 cups)
Buffalo Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ Cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 TBS Butter – melted
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- Dash Kosher Salt
Serving Options: Blue Cheese Dressing, Carrot Sticks, Celery Sticks
- For the Buffalo Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Nugget Mixture:Place cubed chicken in bowl of a food processor. Add in salt, parsley onion powder, pepper, butter and buffalo sauce. Process until it resembles a fine paste.
- Roll mixture into balls: Line a large sheet pan with plastic wrap. Roll chicken mixture into balls, about the size of a ping pong ball, roughly 2 tablespoons each. Place formed balls onto prepared sheet pan.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Bread nuggets: place flour and salt onto a large plate and mix to combine. Pour eggs into a small bowl. Roll chicken balls in flour, then egg, and then back in flour again. Use your hands to flatten balls to form chicken nuggets. Transfer breaded nuggets back to prepared sheet pan. Repeat until all nuggets are breaded and formed.
- To Cook the Nuggets: Fry the nuggets, in batches, for 4-5 minutes total, until golden brown and cooked through (165 degrees F). Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain and season generously with salt while still warm.
- Serve with buffalo dipping sauce, blue cheese dressing, carrots and celery.
- For a very mild Buffalo flavored nugget use 3 tablespoons of Buffalo Hot Sauce in mixture. For a more pronounced Buffalo flavor use 1/4 Cup.
- Buffalo chicken mixture can be made in advance and balls can be formed in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For more tender chicken nugget, substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for breasts!
*Recipe adapted from SparkPeople
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any images without prior permission. Please do not publish this recipe. If you want to reference this recipe, please do so by linking directly to this post.