This Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad only takes 10 minutes to prepare, plus it’s packed with protein and nutrients! Whether you serve it as a sandwich, salad, part of a grain bowl, or eat it plain with a spoon, these smashed chickpeas are completely customize-able and perfect for lunch on the go, snack time, potlucks or an easy weeknight dinner!
Hey there, friends!
Before we get to today’s recipe, I have a small confession.
I actually made and photographed this sandwich over a year ago. We are talking, January 2017 here.
But I absolutely detested the original photos. And, the longer I held on to the post, the more my resistance to share the photos grew.
However, the lackluster photos didn’t stop me from devouring this smashingly scrumptious sandwich for lunch on repeat.
So, I finally decided it was time to get off my butt, remake and re-photograph the recipe.
And boy, oh boy, am I glad I did, because this sandwich ROCKS and most definitely NEEDS to be shared!
Without further ado, let me introduce you to my favorite lunch, which by the way, can double as a salad OR a sandwich.
Hello lunch goals 2018.
Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Plump, tender chickpeas smashed together with delicate chives, flavorful spices, salty feta, chewy sun-dried tomatoes, and then mixed with a creamy, nutty tahini based mayonnaise dressing.
This chickpea salad light and healthy, yet bold on flavor and seriously satisfying!
On top of all that sensational salad jazz, this smashed chickpea salad is, legit, easier than pie to whip together AND it keeps well stored in the refrigerator. Meaning, this salad is perfect for meal prep or easy lunches on the go!
How to serve chickpea salad?
You can serve and eat this salad any which way your heart desires, but here are some ideas in case you need inspiration:
Pile it into individual leaves of bibb lettuce and eat it as lettuce wraps.
Serve it over chopped greens, garnish it with olives, sliced cucumbers, and red onion, and then call it a salad.
Scoop it over quinoa, or farro, top it with some sliced avocado and fresh microgreens, and then serve it as a grain bowl.
Skip table manners and devour it with a spoon straight from the mixing bowl.
Or, you can do what you see pictured here – pile it high on toasted multigrain bread, add all the fixings and demolish it as a sandwich.
What goes with chickpea salad?
Accouterments to this smashed chickpea salad are completely customizable, but since the salad is rockin’ Mediterranean vibes, I definitely suggest sticking with that theme. Think – red onion, cucumber, avocado and olives. Other great options are shredded carrots, sliced radishes, fresh microgreens, sprouts, and leafy greens.
No matter which topping options you chose, make sure they are FRESH. Nothing ruins a salad or sandwich faster than limp, old, low quality ingredients.
If you are looking for a side for this smashed chickpea salad, toasted pita wedges with hummus would be delicious, but any variety of chips, fries, or assortment of fresh veggies is great!
Recipe Notes, Tips & Tricks for Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich:
- Za’atar is a traditional eastern Mediterranean spice blend and can be found in the spice isle of most major grocery store. I have also included how to make the blend yourself in the notes section of the recipe below.
- The amount of tahini mayonnaise used in the salad will depend on personal preference. Start with 3 tablespoons and taste the mixture. If a creamier texture is desired, add more tahini mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I personally used 4 tablespoons.
- The tahini mayonnaise will keep, stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- The smashed chickpea salad will keep, stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Make boring, bland, brown bag lunches a thing of the past with this Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
Until next time, friends, cheers – to making lunch a smashing success! 😉
** Due to the Easter holiday, I will not be posting next week. I’ll be back with a delicious dish for you to devour on Monday, April 9th! For everyone who celebrates, warm wishes for a wonderful Easter!**
How to make Mediterranean Chickpea Salad recipe👇
- 1 (16 ounce) Can Chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp Za’atar *
- ¼ tsp each: cumin, salt, garlic powder
- ¼ Cup Oil Packed Sundried Tomatoes – drained and chopped
- ¼ Cup Feta Cheese - crumbled
- 2 TBS Chives – thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt
- 2 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 TBS Tahini
- Artisan Bread – sliced and toasted
- Miro Greens
- Radishes – sliced
- Carrots – shredded
- English Cucumber – sliced
- Red Onion – sliced
- Avocado – sliced
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- Make the Tahini Mayonnaise: In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the Smashed Chickpea Salad: Place chickpeas in a medium sized mixing bowl and use a potato masher or fork to lightly mash the chickpeas (gently mash to keep some of the chickpea texture). Add in 3 tablespoons of the tahini mayonnaise, za’atar, cumin, salt, garlic powder, sundried tomatoes, feta, scallions and a pinch of black pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. If a creamier salad is desired, add more tahini mayonnaise a tablespoon at a time*.
- For the Sandwich: Spoon a generous amount of the chickpea salad onto two slices of (toasted) bread. Top with desired garnishes. Slather a bit of the tahini mayonnaise on the remaining two slices of bread and place (mayo side down) on top of garnishes to complete sandwich. Enjoy!
**Nutrition information is for the smashed chickpea salad with HALF of the tahini mayonnaise.
1. The amount of tahini mayonnaise used in the salad will depend on personal preference. Start with 3 tablespoons and taste the mixture. If a creamier texture is desired, add more tahini mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I personally used 4 tablespoons.
2. The tahini mayonnaise will keep, stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for 5 days.
3. The smashed chickpea salad will keep, stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
4. Za’atar is a traditional eastern Mediterranean spice blend and can be found in the spice isle of most major grocery store. I have also included how to make the blend yourself below.
1 TBS Dried Thyme
1 TBS Sumac
1 TBS Ground Cumin
1 TBS Sesame Seeds
1 tsp Dried Oregano
½ tsp Kosher Salt
(Stir everything together and store in an airtight container at room temperature)
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe please do not list instructions, instead link directly back to this post.