This Skillet Cumin & Lime Chicken and Rice with Avocado-Pineapple Salsa is a delicious mix of sweet and savory. But, not only is this dish seriously scrumptious, it’s also a cinch to throw together, only takes 30 minutes to cook, and call all be made in one skillet.Hi friends! Happy Monday. <–I know, womp-womp. No such thing.
How was your weekend? Did you spend it outside, enjoying the gorgeous weather? Or is it still bitterly cold near you?
My weekend was A-Okay. I spent the majority of it in the kitchen, but I also made time to do a little research for our hopefully upcoming vacation.
I want to thank all of you who left suggestions of beaches in the NC and SC area! You guys rock! And you also have fabulous taste, because every beach/city looked amazing… and like I absolutely must vacay there immediately.
I’m thinking I should take a sabbatical and hit every destination you guys recommended. If only life and reality would stop getting in the way. Those two can be a real buzz kill. 😉In the spirit of thanking you guys, a few bloggers and I have come together to bring ya’ll a giveaway!
A $300 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway to be exact. Woot woot!
So be sure to scroll all the way down, past the “recipes you might also like” section, and enter to win.
This chicken and rice dish has got it going on, my friends. Not only is it seriously scrumptious, but it’s also a cinch to throw together, only takes 30 minutes to cook, and call all be made in one skillet.
Minus the salsa of course, that simply requires you toss a few ingredients together in a bowl. Easy-peasy-pineapple-squeezy. This one skillet dish is a delicious mix of sweet and savory.
The chicken is tender, and fantastically flavored with earthy, warm cumin and zesty lime; while the rice is studded with diced yellow onions and chopped green chilies. All that gets topped off with a tasty, tropical avocado-pineapple salsa.
The end result is a dish that is packed with flavor, yet a breeze to throw together. Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or a relaxing weekend spent shopping on Amazon.com. (<–Don’t forget to enter that giveaway!) Now for the notes:
- As with all marinades, you can let the chicken sit for as little as 30 minutes, or as long as overnight. Obviously I recommend you let the chicken sit overnight because this will produce more flavor. But whatever you do, make sure you turn the chicken over occasionally so the marinade evenly coats the chicken.
- Use long grain rice here. Long grain rice contains less starch, which means the grains are more separate and not sticky. This isn’t sushi or risotto, so stick with the long grain variety. I used Jasmati, but any long grain rice will do.
- The salsa will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, but it tastes the best on the day it is made. It only takes a few minutes to dice up the ingredients and toss them together. You can do it while the chicken and rice are cooking, so I highly recommend you make the salsa on the day you are going to eat it.
- I like my food spicy, especially when it is a little somethin’-somethin’ spicy in a sweet dish. Therefore I used all of the jalapeno, seeds and ribs, in my salsa. But by all means, if spicy just isn’t your thing, remove and discard them. No harm, no foul. I don’t judge.
Transport your taste buds to the warm tropics – and give your dishwasher a break while you are at it – with this supa’ easy, one skillet Cumin-Lime Chicken and Rice. Until next time friends – Cheers, to lady luck being on your side when you enter that amazon giveaway below. (<–I’m shamelessly trying to give you money. You can thank me later.) 😉
This Skillet Cumin & Lime Chicken and Rice with Avocado-Pineapple Salsa is a delicious mix of sweet and savory. But, not only is this dish seriously scrumptious, it’s also a cinch to throw together, only takes 30 minutes to cook, and call all be made in one skillet.
- 4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast s (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 Lime – juice and zest
- 2 Cloves Garlic , divided - minced
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 ½ tsp Salt , divided
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ TBS Olive Oil , divided
- 1 small Yellow Onion – finely dice
- 1 Cup Long Grain Rice
- 1 (4.5 oz. can) Chopped green chilies
- 1 Lime - juice
- 1 ¾ Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Stock
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Cup Pineapple – small dice
- 1 Avocado – small dice
- 1 Jalapeno – minced
- ¼ cup Red Onion – finely diced
- 2 heaping TBS Cilantro Leaves – roughly chopped
- 1 Lime – zest and juice
- Salt , to taste
- Marinate Chicken: In a large Ziploc bag combine lime juice, zest, 1 clove of garlic, cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Add in chicken breasts, toss to coat and seal. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight, turning occasionally to coat evenly.
- Prepare the Salsa: Place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Gently stir to combine. Season to taste with salt. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard.
- For the Chicken & Rice: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the skillet and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until chicken is lightly browned. Remove chicken to a clean plate and set aside.
- Pour off the fat and wipe the pan clean with paper towels. Return skillet to stove top over medium-high heat and add in remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. Add in onions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat.
- Add in the chilies, juice of one lime, stock and water. Bring the rice to a simmer and cook for 30 seconds. Place chicken breasts on top of rice. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 22-25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F).
- Remove from heat, uncover and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and salsa.
*For a mild salsa, remove all ribs and seeds from jalapeno.
*Salsa will keep in the refrigerator overnight, but it is best on the day it is made.
You Might Also Like: