This one pan Cumin Chicken with Rice Recipe is topped with an easy Avocado Pineapple Salsa! This family-friendly meal is made with simple pantry seasonings yet it’s packed with bold flavor! Ready in 30 minutes or less, it is perfect for busy weeknights!
Update: This post was originally published in April 2016. I’ve updated the post below to include more information about Cumin Chicken. Plus, I took new photographs and have included a step-by-step photo collage to show you how easy this one pan chicken and rice is to make!
Hi friends! Happy Monday!? Before you give me that side eye, I know there is no such thing as a happy Monday… unless it’s a holiday of course!
Before we get to today’s amazing recipe I want to quickly say thank you to those of you who left beach suggestions in the NC and SC area on my last post! You guys rock! And, you also have fabulous taste, because every city looked amazing!!
I’m thinking I should take a sabbatical and hit every destination you guys recommended. If only life and reality would stop getting in the way. Those two can be a real buzz kill. 😉
Cumin Chicken Recipe
This skillet chicken dinner has got it going on, my friends. Not only is it seriously scrumptious, but it’s also a cinch to throw together – requiring just 30 minutes! Plus, everything – the cumin chicken and fragrant white rice – all cook in the same skillet! Minus the salsa of course, that simply requires you toss a few ingredients together in a bowl. Easy-peasy!
This chicken and rice dish is a delicious mix of sweet and savory. The chicken is tender, and fantastically flavored with earthy cumin, warm coriander and zesty lime; while the rice is studded with fragrant yellow onions and smoky green chilies. All that gets topped off with a tropical, fresh avocado pineapple salsa.
The end result is a dish that is packed with flavor, yet a breeze to throw together. It’s perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or a relaxing weekend where you don’t feel like slaving over dinner!
What is cumin chicken?
Cumin chicken is a fragrant, zesty chicken dish made of chicken breasts, or thighs, seasoned with various spices such as cumin, coriander and garlic. Cumin chicken can either be sautéed, roasted or grilled. It’s quick and easy to prepare and perfect for busy weeknight dinners!
This easy cumin chicken recipe is accompanied by green chiles studded long grain rice and pineapple salsa. It’s made entirely in one pan on the stovetop and ready in 30 minutes!
How much cumin to use for chicken?
The exact amount of ground cumin to use to season chicken will depend on the recipe. Generally, you should use 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin per chicken breast or thigh. Or, 1-2 teaspoons of cumin for a recipe that serves 4.
This one pan cumin chicken recipe uses a heaping 1/3 a teaspoon of cumin per chicken breast, or 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin for four.
How to customize cumin chicken recipe?
Cumin chicken is easily customizable! It can be seasoned with as much or as little flavor as you like! Mix and match seasonings to create a cumin chicken recipe that is perfect for you and your family!
Seasonings to use with cumin marinated chicken:
- Onion Powder
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Lime Juice
- Honey or Agave
What to serve with cumin powder chicken?
This easy cumin chicken recipe is cooked right on top of long-grain rice and served with an easy, refreshing homemade avocado pineapple salsa. While I used basamati rice, you can use any variety of long-grained rice you would like.
Looking to serve a crowd or a hungry family? Here are some delicious side options that pair well with cumin chicken:
- Black beans
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Tomato Salad
- Roasted, Grilled or Sautéed Broccoli
- Grilled or Sautéed Bell Peppers
- Salsa Verde
- Pico de Gallo or Picante Sauce
- Roasted Corn Salad or Salsa
How to serve chicken with cumin?
Tender, zesty cumin chicken is perfect for having on hand and can be served in a variety of ways!
How to use cumin flavored chicken:
- Slice chicken and use it in tacos or enchiladas
- Chop chicken and use it on nachos
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and add it to soups such as tortilla soup
- Thinly slice chicken and add it to salads
- Sauté your favorite vegetables and serve chopped cumin chicken on top
How to make Cumin Chicken easy at home?
Cumin chicken is easy to prepare and can be made in just one pan! This simple recipe can be ready and on the table in 30 minutes!
Tips for the best one pan chicken with cumin rice
- As with all marinades, you can let the chicken sit for as little as 30 minutes, or as long as overnight. Obviously I recommend you let the chicken sit overnight because this will produce more flavor. But whatever you do, make sure you turn the chicken over occasionally so the marinade evenly coats the chicken.
- Use long grain rice here. Long grain rice contains less starch, which means the grains are more separate and not sticky. This isn’t sushi or risotto, so stick with the long grain variety. I used Basamati, but any long grain rice will do.
- The salsa will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, but it tastes the best on the day it is made. It only takes a few minutes to dice up the ingredients and toss them together. You can do it while the chicken and rice are cooking, so I highly recommend you make the salsa on the day you are going to eat it. If you want to make it in advance, do not add the avocado until ready to serve.
- I like my food spicy, especially when it is a little somethin’-somethin’ spicy in a sweet dish. Therefore I used all of the jalapeno, seeds and ribs, in my salsa. But by all means, if spicy just isn’t your thing, remove and discard them. No harm, no foul. I don’t judge.
Transport your taste buds to the tropics – and give your dishwasher a break while you are at it – with this super easy Chicken and Rice.
Until next time friends – cheers to this winner, winner chicken dinner!
More easy chicken dinner recipes!
Are you looking for more easy, restaurant-quality chicken recipes? Try these family favorites next!
- Baked Chicken Meatballs (Saucy, spicy and oh-so delicious!)
- Baja Chicken (Flavorful shredded chicken made easy!)
- Chicken Florentine (one pan, 30 minute chicken dinner!)
- Chicken Honey Mustard (ridiculously easy recipe!)
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken (cheesy chicken made in the oven!)
The best Skillet Cumin Chicken and Rice recipe 👇
Cumin Chicken Recipe with Rice
- 4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 Lime – juice and zest
- 2 Cloves Garlic - minced, DIVIDED
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- 3/4 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 ½ TBS Neutral Oil , DIVIDED
- 1 small Yellow Onion – finely dice
- 1 Cup Long Grain Rice
- 1 (4.5 oz. can) Chopped green chilies
- 1 Lime - juice
- 1 ¾ Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Stock
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 heaping Cup Pineapple – small dice
- 1/2 large Avocado – small dice
- 1 Jalapeno – finely diced (SEE NOTES)
- 1/3 cup Red Onion – finely diced
- 2 heaping TBS Cilantro Leaves – roughly chopped
- 1 Lime – zest and juice
- Marinate Chicken: In a large zip-closure bag combine lime juice and zest, 1 clove of garlic, cumin, coriander 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Add in chicken breasts, toss to coat and seal. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight, turning occasionally to coat evenly.
- Prepare the Salsa: Place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Gently stir to combine. Season to taste with salt. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Brown the Chicken: Remove chicken from marinade and discard the marinade. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add chicken to the skillet and cook about 1-2 minutes per side, or until chicken is lightly browned. (SEE NOTE) . Remove chicken and transfer to a clean plate. Set aside.
- Add the vegetables and rice: Adjust heat under skillet to medium-high heat. Add in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. Add in onions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat.
- Add the liquid: Add in the chilies, juice of one lime, stock and water. Bring the rice to a simmer and cook for 30 seconds. Place chicken breasts on top of rice. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. COVER. Cook for 22-25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F). (SEE NOTE)
- Serve: Remove from heat, uncover and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and salsa.
- For a hot salsa, keep the seeds and ribs in the jalapeno. For a medium salsa, partially remove seeds and ribs. For a mild salsa, remove all seeds and ribs. (Salsa will keep in the refrigerator overnight, but it is best on the day it is made.)
- Do not overcook chicken in step 3! You just want to brown the chicken slightly. Chicken will continue to cook in step 5.
- If the liquid is not all the way absorbed when done cooking in step 5, remove the lid and continue to cook until liquid evaporates. If the chicken is done, remove it to a serving plate while you continue to cook the rice!
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe please do not list instructions, instead link directly back to this post.