I’m not attempting to change the world with my cooking and this blog, but these Pecan Belgian Waffles with Caramelized Rum Banana-Pecan Syrup might change your life. They will definitely change your waistline if you devour as many as you should. I did… although I have been avoiding the scale. Do I really need to see how many pounds I have gained from my delicious indulgence? Nah. You only live life once, right? I have decided I want to live my life with these pecan waffles. Daily. And in abundance.
I’ll probably need a seamstress to take out my clothes a few inches, preferably without my knowledge. And, I will also need someone to replace all the mirrors in my house with the funhouse mirrors that make you look super tall and skinny. But, other than those few minor details, life would be so wonderful, just me and these waffles. And, the caramelized rum banana-pecan syrup. And, maybe a wheel chair to push around my newly plump rump. #BabyGotBack 🙂
Anyways, these Pecan Belgian Waffles are mouthwatering magnificent. They are sweet, a little savory and rich with flavor. Light as air on the inside and crisp on the outside, their texture is sheer perfection and pretty hard to beat. The addition of pecans provide a nutty, warm flavor and slight crunch. But, if pecans aren’t your thing, walnuts would be a delicious substitution.
And the syrup? Oh. My. Gawd. The syrup! I want to take twice daily baths in a tub full of the caramelized rum banana-pecan syrup. It is that magically delicious. The smell of the syrup cooking alone will induce a drool session comparable to that of a fully grown St. Bernard. And that is just the smell. Sticky, sweet, a little rummy, a tad crunchy… this syrup means serious business people. The bananas are soft and creamy, but not mushy. Because bananas overcooked into something that resembles baby food? I’ll pass. However, this syrup is something I insist you do not pass up!
I feel like I have so much more to say about these waffles and how spectacularly scrumptious they are, but I think all of their loveliness has clouded my brain. Okay, to be honest, all I can think about is how I want to wrap this up, so I can go inhale another stack of these bad boys. A delectable HUGE stack of crisp and tender, perfectly cooked, golden squares of waffled love… covered, smothered and dripping with syrup… the bananas and pecans perched on top and basking in the rays of the morning light through my kitchen window.
Now my tummy is rumbling and yelling “feeeeeeeed ME!” So with that, my friends, I must bid you adieu. Scroll down, hit print and join me in devouring life altering greatness, known as these Pecan Belgian Waffles. And do not forget the Caramelized Rum Banana-Pecan Syrup. In fact, make extra because you will want some to swim in. 🙂 Until next time, cheers and happy waffling!
Light and crisp Pecan Belgian Waffles topped with Caramelized Rum Bananas and Pecans.
- 1 ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Pecans - roughly chopped
- 2 large Eggs , seperated
- 1 ½ Cup Buttermilk
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 TBS Granulated Sugar
- 1 TBS Butter
- ¼ Cup Dark Corn Syrup
- ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar , packed
- ½ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 TBS Rum
- 3 medium Firm Bananas – sliced into ½ coins
- ¼ Cup Pecans – roughly chopped
- For the Waffles: Preheat your waffle iron. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. to keep waffles warm. Place wire rack insert on a large sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pecans. Stir together and make a small well in the center of ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the egg yolks, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Beat/whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
- Add all of the yolk mixture to the ‘well’ of the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. The mixture should still be lumpy.
- In a separate small bowl, beat egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form (the tips of the whites should stand straight up in the air).
- Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the flour/egg yolk mixture. Fold. Repeat two more times until all of the egg whites are barely combined, do NOT over mix.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup waffle batter into preheated waffle iron, making sure not to overfill. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until waffles are cooked through. Remove and store cooked waffles in the warm oven while you repeat with remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, Make the Caramelized Rum Bananas: In a large sauce pan melt butter with corn syrup over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the rum and allow mixture to come to a gentle boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the bananas, pecans and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat. Cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the caramelized banana and pecan mixture over the warm waffles and serve immediately.
*Yields roughly 14 Waffles
*Optional additional toppings: butter and maple syrup
*To reheat: heat waffles in a toaster oven or an oven preheated to 325 degrees F until warm throughout, about 5 minutes.