Loaded with chunks of beef short rib and Tex-Mex toppings, this hearty chili is bodaciously beefy and down-right delicious. It is also a cinch to throw together, thanks to your trusty slow cooker!Hello friends! How was your weekend?
Mine was pretty jazzy. Low key and filled with just the right amount of relaxation, when I wasn’t in the kitchen testing out recipes to share with you guys. 😉
Aaaaand it finally snowed here ❄!!
I was definitely jumping around like a little kid in a candy store.
And I might have stuck my tongue out, trying to catch all the little flurries the sky had to offer. If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you also know I have a bit of exciting news to share… I finally made my in-print, magazine debut.
I have been impatiently awaiting the arrival of the Low Sugar Living, Spring 2016 magazine in my mailbox so I could share this moment in time with you guys, and the day has finally come. Woot woot!
I am thrilled to be featured in such a delicious magazine and the NSN McDonald’s Buffalo Chicken Nuggets they chose to share are one of Boy’s favorite recipes.
Here is to hoping this isn’t my one and only appearance in a magazine. (<– Fingers and toes crossed. Breathe being held)Anyways, I’ll stop patting myself on the back now and get down to deliciousness. Chili.
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Short Rib Chili with Chocolate Stout
Spoiler alert- if you like beans if your chili, this chili isn’t for you, my friend.
This is the type of stick to your ribs, bodaciously beefy chili that makes Boy’s heart go pitter patter.
He is a beef only, chili purist. And he gave this chili rave reviews.
Which was expected, because I made this chili specifically for him… and for all the “beef. it’s what’s for dinner” readers out there. Aside from being magnificently meaty with chunks of tender, juicy and succulent boneless beef short rib, this chili is smoky, slightly spicy, and fabulously flavorful.
The overall chili liquid isn’t too thick or too thin, it is velvety smooth with a hint of tortilla-y corn flavor, thanks to the addition of masa harina.
The chocolate stout adds a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to the chili. It isn’t over powering, but it definitely adds a little somethin’-somethin’.
While all the toppings are optional, they give the chili a tantalizing Tex-Mex flavor… and if you ask me they shouldn’t really be optional.
I mean, what normal person doesn’t want to load their chili up with more flavor. And tons of cheese??
Exactly.This chili is pretty easy to throw together, thanks to the trusty slow cooker. But, this isn’t dump it and go, stupid easy. Waiiiiit, don’t run away. Hear me out!
You have to brown the cubes of short ribs first, transfer them to the slow cooker, then sauté the onions, garlic, and deglaze the pan.
It is one small step, but the amount and depth of flavor it adds to the chili is unreal. It is worth the 5 minutes.
Trust me.So if outrageously delicious chili is your jam, then this short rib chili with chocolate stout needs to happen in your kitchen. Immediately. Until Thursday friends, Cheers- to drinking your beer and eating it too. 🍻
How to make Tex-Mex Short Rib Chili with Chocolate Stout👇
Loaded with chunks of beef short rib and Tex-Mex toppings, this chili is bodaciously beefy and down-right delicious. It is also a cinch to throw together, thanks to your trusty slow cooker!
- Spice Blend:
- 2 TBS Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt , plus more to taste
- 1 TBS Cumin
- 1 ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper , plus more to taste
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 pounds Boneless Beef Short Ribs – cut into bite sized pieces (roughly ½ - ¾‘’ cubes)
- 1 Cup low sodium Beef Stock , divided
- 1 (12 oz.) Bottle Chocolate Stout
- 1 (14.5 oz) Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes , with juice
- 2 tsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 large Yellow Onions – small dice (about 1 cup)
- 2 Cloves Garlic - minced
- 3 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil , divided
- 3 TBS Masa Harina
- Optional Garnishes:
- Jalapenos – sliced
- Cheddar or Jack Cheese – shredded
- Sour Cream
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Cilantro
- Avocado – diced
- Hot Sauce
- Tortilla Chips
- In a small mixing bowl combine all the spice blend ingredients. In the bowl of the slow cooker, add tomatoes, bay leaf and spice blend.
- Season ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil large stock pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half of the ribs and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker and repeat with another tablespoon of oil and remaining ribs.
- Reduce heat to medium and add another tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add onions and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the tomato paste and stir to coat the onions. Add in ¾ cup beef stock to deglaze, scraping the brown bits up off the bottom of the pan. Transfer to the slow cooker with the ribs.
- Pour the beer into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 ½ hours or until beef is tender.
- In a small bowl mix ¼ cup of stock with the masa harina. Mix well and add it to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and continue to cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve with optional garnishes and enjoy!
*Nutritional Information does not include optional garnishes.
You Might Also Like: