Single serving cake in a cup! This ooey-gooey molten chocolate cake is incredibly moist, fudgy-rich and loaded with chocolate chunks or baking chips. Made in minutes with the convenience of the microwave, this Chocolate Lava Mug Cake is the fastest way to make dessert for one (or two!).
Update: This post was originally published in October 2015. I made edits to post below to include more information about chocolava cake. And there’s now a recipe video showing you exactly how easy it is to make this cake in a cup recipe at home!
Hi, friends! Are you ready for Halloween!? Is your house decorated to the nines with spooky decor, are your jack-o-lanterns hung, and are you up to your eye-balls in candy to hand out to the trick-or-treaters? If you said ‘yes’ to all of the above, you’re three steps ahead of me. I’ve been too busy taste-tasting all the microwavable cakes and I’m not mad about it. Besides, I knew you would want a delicious way to use up all that naughty halloween candy. You are welcome!
About this chocolate lava mug cake
Really, the title should be, Leftover Halloween Candy Lava Mug Cake. I used Snickers and caramel in mine, because that happens to be Boy’s favorite. I bought them special for him so he didn’t feel too left out of all the fright night fun.
But, you can use whatever miniature Halloween candy you would like or have an abundance of. If substituting, simply use 2-3 mini candies of choice.
So, these snickers lava mug cakes – they are ridiculously easy and seriously delicious.
They take less than 5 minutes of preparation and 1-2 minutes of microwaving. (Read: stupid easy and fool proof)
What does a chocolate mug cake taste like?
These mug cakes have a molten, fudgy, ooey-gooey interior and a cakey exterior, almost identical to a lava cake. These delectable, individual “cakes” are decadent, super chocolaty, sweet, rich, warm and completely comforting.
But, no cake is complete without a little somethin’-somethin’ on top.
I topped my Snickers Lava Mug Cakes with whipped cream, coarsely chopped salted peanuts and a bit of cocoa powder.
The garnish adds a touch of salty, crunchy, creamy, cool texture and flavor to the cake, but feel free to top your mug cake with whatever your little heart desires… a scoop of ice cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, chopped candy or whole candy.
The sky is the limit!
What are mug cakes?
A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like – a cake made with classic cake ingredients in a portable mug!
Mug cakes are great for a few reasons. For one, they are single serving, so you don’t have to worry about what to do with all that leftover cake!
As well, mug cakes are made with the convenience of the microwave! Simply mix the ingredients together in a microwave safe mug and pop it in the microwave! They are perfect for when that unexpected craving for cake strikes!
Tips for the best chocolate cake mug microwave
- Make sure you use something microwaveable. It doesn’t have to be a mug! Glasses, jars and ramekins will work! For the Lava Mug Cake recipe below, I highly recommend you use something tall whether it be a traditional tall mug or glass.
- Do not overfill the mug (or glassware). Mug cakes will rise quite a bit, so it is imperative you do not overfill the mug or you will end up with overflowing cake in your microwave.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals. Just like only filling the mug halfway, microwaving in intervals will help prevent overflow.
- The mug cake will deflate after completely microwaving, and that is fine! Just do not overcook it or fill it up anymore! Make sure you start with the shortest cook time listed in the recipe below. The mug cake is cooked when the top is slightly firm, yet still springy.
So, stop wondering what to do with that plethora of Halloween candy. Be so sweet, make yourself something good to eat and toss it into a Mug Cake!
Cheers! To a chocolatey delicious day! 😉
More chocolate desserts and treats!
- Chocolate Trail Mix
- Double Chocolate Muffins Recipe
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Coffee Cake
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Tiramisu
How to make Chocolate Mug Cake recipe and step-by-step video👇
Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
- 1 14 to 16-ounce Mug
- 1 Small Whisk or Fork
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour - spooned & leveled (30 grams)
- 3 TBS Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - spooned & leveled (14 grams) (SEE NOTES)
- 2 TBS EACH: Light Brown Sugar & Granulated Sugar (sub: all white sugar)
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Large Egg – at room temperature & whisked
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk (sub: Half & Half)
- 3 TBS Coconut Oil - melted (40 grams) (substitute: vegetable oil) (SEE NOTES)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 to 1.25 ounce(s) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Chunks (sub: chopped chocolate candies, soft caramels, baking chips)
- Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream, Chocolate Sauce, Chocolate Curls, Roasted Peanuts, Salted Caramel Sauce, Chocolate Sprinkles
- Mix dry ingredients: To a 14 to 16-ounce microwave-safe mug, soup bowl or small bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, both sugars, baking powder and salt. Use a small whisk or fork to mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients: Make a small well in the center of your dry ingredients. Add the whisked egg, milk, coconut oil and vanilla to the well. Use a small whisk or fork and whisk the mug cake batter until *just* combined.
- Short nuke in the microwave: Add the chocolate mug cake to the microwave and heat on high power for 1 minute.
- Add chocolates: Scatter the chocolate chunks across the top of the raw mug cake.
- Microwave: Return your mug cake to the microwave and heat on full power for an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until the chocolate cake rises, the center is *slightly* firm and shiny, and the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the mug. If your cake is still raw, continue to microwave in short 15-30 seconds bursts.
- Enjoy: Remove mug cake from microwave and immediately drizzle with dessert sauces and enjoy! Or let cool on the counter for 1 minute before topping with whipped cream. Enjoy!
- Cocoa Powder: For the richest, chocolatey-est taste, use a combination of 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of Special Dark Cocoa Powder).
- Coconut Oil: Make sure your coconut oil is in a melted state before adding it to the mug cake batter. I just add my 3 tablespoons to a ramekin and melt it on high power for about 20-30 seconds.
- Mug size: The mug lava cake will rise significantly while microwaving. To prevent it from spilling over, make sure you use a large microwave safe mug, at least 14 ounces in capacity.
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to reference this recipe, please link directly back to this post.