Single serving molten chocolate cake loaded with mini snickers and caramel. Made in minutes with the convenience of the microwave, this Snickers Lava Mug Cake is a great way to use up leftover Halloween candy or whatever candy you have on hand!
This post was originally published in October 2015. I made edits to the photos and added a RECIPE VIDEO to show you how easy this is to make! However, the actual written words below in this post remain the same.
Hi you guys! I know it’s just another manic Monday… but, it’s the week of Halloween! *Woot*
Is your house decked out with spook-tastic décor?
Have you jack-o-lantern’d a pumpkin or two?
Are you up to your eyeballs in candy to hand out to the ghosts, goblins and ghastly dressed trick-or-treaters?
If you said “yes” to all of the above, you are three steps ahead of me… and I don’t plan on catching up. But, before you look at me sideways (if you aren’t already), I have very good reason for not going into full throttle Halloween mode.
So, I figured why put myself out, go all-things-that-bump-in-the-night bonkers, and decorate SuBourbon Country Cottage just for Boy and Dolce (<– our furry four legged daughter)?
Especially when Boy doesn’t care and Dolce would just eat all the decorations.
Therefore, I decided to say, “the heck with it” and use my energy to develop a recipe for you to utilize some of that candy instead.
Snickers Lava Mug Cake
Really, the title should be, Leftover Halloween Candy Lava Mug Cake. I used Snickers and caramel in mine, because that happens to be Boy’s favorite. I bought them special for him so he didn’t feel too left out of all the fright night fun.
But, you can use whatever miniature Halloween candy you would like or have an abundance of. If substituting, simply use 2-3 mini candies of choice.
So, these snickers lava mug cakes – they are ridiculously easy and seriously delicious.
They take less than 5 minutes of preparation and 1-2 minutes of microwaving. (Read: stupid easy and fool proof)
These mug cakes have a molten, fudgy, ooey-gooey interior and a cakey exterior, almost identical to a lava cake. These delectable, individual “cakes” are decadent, super chocolaty, sweet, rich, warm and completely comforting.
But, no cake is complete without a little somethin’-somethin’ on top.
I topped my Snickers Lava Mug Cakes with whipped cream, coarsely chopped salted peanuts and a bit of cocoa powder.
The garnish adds a touch of salty, crunchy, creamy, cool texture and flavor to the cake, but feel free to top your mug cake with whatever your little heart desires… a scoop of ice cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, chopped candy or whole candy.
The sky is the limit!
What are mug cakes?
A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like – a cake made with classic cake ingredients in a portable mug!
Mug cakes are great for a few reasons. For one, they are single serving, so you don’t have to worry about what to do with all that leftover cake!
As well, mug cakes are made with the convenience of the microwave! Simply mix the ingredients together in a microwave safe mug and pop it in the microwave! They are perfect for when that unexpected craving for cake strikes! Tips for the best mug cake:
- Make sure you use something microwaveable. It doesn’t have to be a mug! Glasses, jars and ramekins will work! For the Lava Mug Cake recipe below, I highly recommend you use something tall whether it be a traditional tall mug or glass.
- Do not overfill the mug (or glassware). Mug cakes will rise quite a bit, so it is imperative you do not overfill the mug or you will end up with overflowing cake in your microwave.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals. Just like only filling the mug halfway, microwaving in intervals will help prevent overflow.
- The mug cake will deflate after completely microwaving, and that is fine! Just do not overcook it or fill it up anymore! Make sure you start with the shortest cook time listed in the recipe below. The mug cake is cooked when the top is slightly firm, yet still springy.
So, stop wondering what to do with that plethora of Halloween candy. Be so sweet, make yourself something good to eat and toss it into a Snickers Lava Mug Cake!
Cheers – to a wickedly delicious day! 😉
How to make Snickers Lava Mug Cake recipe and step-by-step video👇
Single serving molten chocolate cake loaded with mini snickers and caramel. Made with the convenience of the microwave, this Snickers Lava Mug Cake is a great way to use up leftover Halloween candy!
- 4 TBS All Purpose Flour
- 4 TBS Granulated Sugar
- 3 TBS Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Scant tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Large Egg – beaten
- 3 TBS Whole Milk or Half & Half
- 1 TBS Vegetable Oil
- 2 Mini Snickers Bars
- 1 Salted Caramel
- Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream, roughly chopped Roasted Peanuts, Salted Caramel Sauce
- In a small bowl combine: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add egg, milk and vegetable oil. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer 1/4th of the mixture to a regular sized coffee mug. Drop one mini snickers into the center. Top with another 1/4th of the cake mixture. Drop the caramel into the center. Top with another 1/4th of the cake mixture and another snickers. Top with the remaining cake mixture.
Place mug in microwave and microwave on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds, microwaving it in 30 second increments to prevent it from spilling over. Check mug cake, if batter is still too gooey, microwave an additional 30 seconds. But be careful! You want the mug cake to still be a tad bit gooey and not dry/overcooked.
Top with whipped cream, roasted peanuts and salted caramel sauce. Enjoy!
- The cake will rise significantly while microwaving. To prevent it from spilling over, make sure you microwave it in 30 second increments. Also, using a tall coffee mug is recommended.
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe please do not list instructions, instead link directly back to this post.