This stunning sour apple pucker drink offers the perfect balance of sweet and sour flavors with a pop of fizz and a beautiful green hue. Garnish it with lime wedges and thin apple slices for a truly memorable boozy tequila cocktail perfect for your next party, St Patrick’s celebrations, or even Halloween!
Quick Navigation - Table of Contents
About this sour apple pucker drink
Get ready to make a beautiful cocktail with this Sour Apple Tequila Cocktail recipe! Made with just a handful of ingredients and less than 10 minutes, you get to showcase this stunning libation at upcoming parties or holiday celebrations, such as St Patrick’s day or Halloween!
This cocktail is the perfect balance of sweet and sour with nuances of apple and lime. The pretty green hue adds to the look of a refreshing drink that’ll get everyone excited to start sipping away.
Garnish each glass with lime wedges and thin slices of green apple. And if you want to get extra fancy, why not rim each glass with lime-flavored sugar! If you’re looking for something to quench your thirst and satisfy those smooth tequila cravings, this sour apple tequila cocktail is up for the task!
Why you’ll love this apple sour drink
These green apple mixed drinks offer just the right balance of boozy delight with sweet and sour flavor – perfect as a relaxed sundowner or party cocktail! Here’s why you’ll love this drink:
- Eye-catching. If you’re looking to impress your party guests, this pretty green cocktail with garnish is a must-try! It’s also perfect for St Patrick’s day or Halloween!
- Refreshing flavor! The sweet and sour apple flavor in this sour apple tequila cocktail is a refreshing option to quench your thirst at the end of a hot day!
- Easily customizable. Adjust the flavor, fizz, strength of drink, and sweetness with easy ingredient adjustments that I’ve outlined below.
- Simple and quick! Whip up this green apple tequila with only a handful of ingredients in 5-10 minutes!
Ingredients for apple sour cocktails
These sweet and sour green apple alcoholic drinks look super appealing and taste even better! With just a handful of ingredients, here’s everything you’ll need to get started:
- Tequila – Use high-quality tequila for best flavor. Something like Blanco or Silver Patron tequila works well, but you can always use your preferred brand.
- Sour apple liqueur – DeKuyper Sour Apple Pucker is great, but you can use another sour apple liqueur as well.
- Lime juice – Freshly squeezed is best, although you can use bottled lime juice in a pinch.
- Substitution: Lemon juice could be used instead.
- Agave – This is optional, although I love the added sweetness in this apple sours drink to offset the sour apple. Omit it you prefer or add more for a sweeter-tasting sour apple drink.
- Substitution: A simple syrup could be used instead of agave.
- Sprite – Add to taste and adjust to suit your preferences. Increase the sprite for a weaker drink and reduce it for a stronger drink.
- Substitution: The sprite is great for adding fizz to this apple tequila drink too. Good alternatives include Lemon-Lime soda or lime-flavored seltzer.
- Optional garnish – Consider garnishing this apple sour drink with lime wedges or slices of apples.
- Sweetener. Agave is a great way to sweeten apple sour cocktails and offset the sour apple. It is an optional ingredient in this green tequila drink and can be left out or increased for extra sweetness. Another way to sweeten this drink is to use a simple syrup. You will need slightly less than agave as simple syrups are typically sweeter-tasting.
- Strength of drink. For a stronger sour apple alcohol drink, increase the tequila or reduce the Sprite. Likewise, for a weaker drink, decrease the tequila or increase the Sprite.
- Fizz. The Sprite not only adds flavor and sweetness to this sour apple cocktail, it also adds a delicious pop of fizz. You can use another soda, such as Lemon-Lime soda, or even lime-flavored seltzer water to create this fizz.
- Ice. I like to fill a glass with ice and strain the cocktail mixture over as it keeps the drink chilled while sipping. You could use glass rocks instead if you don’t like how ice weakens a drink as it starts to melt.
- Presentation. This apple sours cocktail can be enjoyed as a sophisticated cocktail in a martini glass with garnish and a sugar rim. It’s also perfect as an adult beverage that you could serve at Halloween! Add black food coloring to sugar (or black sanding sugar) and use this to rim each glass for a spooky presentation!
Tips for the best apple sour cocktail
- As with any libation, I highly suggest you make this drink to taste. The recipe below is merely a suggestion. If you want a stronger drink you can 86 the sprite and serve it in a martini glass. If you want a drink more suitable for chugging (I don’t judge), you can serve this cocktail in a highball glass and top it off with a decent amount of sprite.
- The agave in the recipe below is optional, but I like how the sweetness offset the sour apple. You can leave the agave out completely, or use more if you like your cocktail on the sweeter side.
- I used silver patron tequila and sprite zero in my cocktail, but you can use any tequila and any type of lemon-lime soda you would like.
- The wedges of lime and slices of apple are both optional garnishes. However, I liked the extra squeeze of fresh acidic lime in my cocktail. And, the slices of apples give this libation a little pizazz. To get my slices of apples paper thin I used a mandolin.
FAQs: frequently asked questions
What is sour apple pucker?
Sour apple pucker is a sweet and tart liqueur that is often used to make apple martinis and similar cocktails. It adds both flavor and a pretty green hue to green apple cocktails!
Does sour apple pucker have alcohol in it?
Yes. Sour Apple Pucker is a liqueur which means that it does contain alcohol in addition to other ingredients, such as sugar, flavorings, and coloring.
What percent alcohol is sour pucker ?
Sour Apple Pucker contains a 15% ABV (Alcohol By Volume) which is considered the expected percentage for hard alcohol and spirits. While this percentage of ABV is higher than most beers and some wine, keep in mind that the recipe only calls for ½ ounce of the liqueur which is diluted by other ingredients, such as Sprite and lime juice.
What mixer for drinks with pucker sour apple?
Mixers are typically non-alcoholic ingredients that are added to cocktails to dilute the alcohol and provide volume to the drink. In this recipe, I’ve used Sprite. Other good mixer options for this sour apple cocktail could include lemon-lime soda or lemon-lime seltzer water. There are likely many more that you could also think of!
Serving cocktails with sour apple pucker
These sour apple drinks are perfect as easy sundowners at home after a long day or to jazz up and serve at your next party!
Serve this sour apple liqueur cocktail either in a martini glass (when you want a stronger drink) or a highball glass (for a weaker drink with more Sprite). Load your glass with ice to keep it chilled or use glass rocks instead to avoid any dilution.
If you feel like getting fancy, wet the rim of your glass with a lime wedge and dip it into a shallow bowl of white sugar or green colored sugar. Set the glass aside to allow the rim to dry before straining the cocktail mixture into the glass to serve.
What to serve with an apple sour cocktail?
Garnish each glass with lime wedges and thinly sliced apples. Granny Smith apples or other green varieties of apples are great to use to keep with the green color of this boozy beverage.
Apart from garnish, consider serving your pucker sour apple drinks with some delicious appetizers or snacks, such as homemade pita chips, Chicken Apple Meatballs, Whipped Ricotta Cheese Dip, Baked Camembert Cheese, Air Fryer Shrimp, or this Smoked Salmon Appetizer.
Storing drinks with sour apple pucker
- Store leftover sour apple mixed drinks in a jug with a sealable lid or covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Keep in mind that the fizz from the Sprite will go flat after a few hours. Sour apple cocktails are best enjoyed immediately after assembling.
- Make the sour apple tequila mixture a day in advance and store it in the fridge, ready to add the Sprite to the drinks with ice and garnish just before serving.
Can I freeze these drinks?
These drinks with Sour Apple Pucker are best enjoyed immediately after assembling. You could make adult boozy frozen lollipops with leftover cocktail mixture by pouring the mixture into lollipop molds and storing these in your freezer for up to 3 months. Take them out and enjoy them on hot days as a delicious alternative to a regular cocktail.
Quench your thirst with this stunning green libation, combining sour apple liqueur, smooth tequila, sweetener, lime juice, and Sprite. It’s perfect for St Patty’s or any other party gathering!
Until Monday friends, cheers – to a wonderful weekend… and a cocktail or 2.
P.S. If you love cocktails with tequila, try these tequila cocktails with kiwi next.
How to make a Sour Tequila Cocktail👇
Sour Apple Pucker Cocktail
- 1 ½ oz Tequila
- 1 ½ oz Sour Apple Liqueur
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- ½ oz Agave (optional)*
- Sprite to taste*
- Optional Garnishes: Lime Wedges, Slices of Apple
- Fill a shaker with ice and pour in all ingredients, EXEPT the Sprite.
- Shake vigorously until shaker is chilled to the touch.
- Fill a highball glass with ice and slices of apple (if using). Strain the cocktail into glass. Top with sprite and garnish with wedge of lime. Enjoy!