These Glazed Cinnamon Apple Cider Baked Donuts are bursting with crisp apple flavor and packed with cozy fall vibes! Easy to make and even easier to devour, these donuts are the perfect fall morning treat, afternoon snack or evening dessert!
1. I used a Honeycrisp apple, but feel free to substitute whatever variety of apple is your favorite. If you are looking for a donut with a touch of tart flavor, Granny Smith would taste great! Or, if you are looking for a mix of the sweetness of a Honeycrisp and the tartness of a Granny Smith, I highly recommend using Pink Lady!
2. You can reduce the apple cider (step one of the recipe) up to three days in advance. Just make sure to keep it stored in a container with a tight fitted lid in the refrigerator.
3. The reduced apple cider is used in both the donut batter and the glaze, so make sure you read the directions carefully!! Do NOT just add all the reduced cider to the donut batter.
4. Transferring the donut batter into a disposable piping bag, or zip-closure bag, isn’t necessary but it does make things easier! However, you can definitely just spoon it into the donut molds. If you are using a bag, make sure you snip off the corner of the bag large enough to allow the grated apple to pass through.
5. Make sure you only mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until everything is JUST combined. The batter should be thick and wet.
6. The amount of heavy cream in the glaze depends on personal preference and desired thickness. Start with one tablespoon and add more cream, one teaspoon at a time, until you reach your preferred consistency. I used 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon.
7. Donuts are always best served fresh on the day they are made, but the donuts will keep, stored in an airtight container, overnight. Just be sure NOT to glaze them until right before serving!