This Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken & Broccoli Rice is a delicious, healthier and easier version of your favorite Asian restaurant sesame chicken take out! Sweet, savory, saucy and loaded with flavor plus nutrients, this dish is guaranteed to become a family favorite!
broccoli rice, chicken, Crock pot, honey, sesame, Slow Cooker
Calories: 356 kcal
Serves: 4-6. Nutrition information based on 4 servings.
- While I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the recipe below, you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
- If you want to take the lazy prep route, you can skip cutting the chicken into 1’’ cubes and instead place the entire chicken breast (or thigh) in the slow cooker. Just increase the cooking time by 30 minutes – 1 hour in step #2 before adding the cornstarch and water mixture (step 3), use two forks to shred the chicken (you can do this right in the slow cooker, or you can remove the chicken to a cutting board and add the chicken back to the slow cooker). Then, add the cornstarch mixture and proceed with the recipe as instructed.
- You can easily double the sauce in the recipe if you like your chicken super saucy.
- All slow cookers vary. If your slow cooker runs on the hot side, be sure to check your chicken earlier, as it may cook faster than the times suggested in the recipe. The opposite goes for your slow cooker if it runs on the cool side, as your chicken may take longer to cook. If you aren’t sure of your slow cookers abilities, be sure to use an instant read thermometer. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
*Other ways to cook broccoli rice:
1. MICROWAVE – transfer the broccoli rice to a microwave-safe bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Stir, taste and microwave for an additional minute or so, if broccoli is not yet tender.
2. OVEN ROAST – Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the broccoli rice with a tablespoon of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer the broccoli to a baking sheet and spread it out in a single layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Broccoli rice is done it is slightly golden and tender.