These Asian Chicken Wonton Nachos are an EPIC spin on classic nachos. Crispy baked wonton chips are layered with Asian flavored ground chicken, pungent red onions, spicy jalapenos, two types of cheeses and finished with a silky, smooth spicy peanut sauce. These nachos are easy to make, yet packed with flavor and guaranteed to please!
1. While I used ground chicken for my nachos, you can absolutely substitute ground turkey, pork or beef if you would like! Generally I am a big fan of using plain ground chicken (with both white and dark meat in the mixture), but I have made these nachos with all white meat ground chicken before and didn’t notice a huge difference.
2. Wonton wrappers can be found in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. Wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are basically the same the same thing (both are an egg-noodle dough), however they vary in size. Wonton wrappers are significantly smaller than egg roll wrappers. If you can only find egg roll wrappers, you can substitute those, just make sure you cut the wrappers into quarters instead of in half.
3. When baking your wonton wrappers, be very careful! They can go from golden brown and delicious to dark and burnt pretty quickly. I baked mine for 8 minutes (rotating the pans from the top to middle position halfway through), and they were perfect, but every oven is different!
4. Like anything you are cooking, make sure you adjust the peanut sauce for taste and consistency to your own liking! Add more honey for sweetness, vinegar for sourness, or sriracha for more spice. If you want a thinner sauce, add a bit of water until the desired consistency is achieved. If you don’t have a food processor or blender, you can easily make the sauce in a small bowl. Just make sure you finely dice the garlic first and whisk everything together well.
5. You can make the peanut sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator. However, the sauce will become thick! Simply whisk in a bit of water to loosen it up.
6. The plain wonton wrappers can be baked a day in advanced if needed. Let them cool completely and store them in an airtight container. However, the assembled and baked nachos are best served and eaten immediately.