Juicy grilled jumbo scallops with fresh, savory avocado-corn salsa and a sweet, tart honey-lime vinaigrette. This dish is packed with flavor and my favorite go-to in the summer!Hiya friends! How was your weekend? I hope it was glorious and filled with lots of laughter, relaxation and fantastic food!
Our weekend was preeeeetty dandy.
I shamelessly indulged in entirely too much streaming of Basketball Wives while I worked in the kitchen.
I can feel you looking at me sideways.
What? The show is educational. I SWEAR. I schooled Boy in words such as THOT and dirt. Although he still doesn’t know how to use the phrase ‘throwing shade’ correctly.
Okay, so BW might be kinda trashy. It is one of my guilty pleasures and I just can’t help myself. There is soooo much drama! It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion… with the addition of yelling and lots of choice words. AND tons of slang language for you to learn, so you can stay hip and young FOREVER. BUT, I did also happen to be super productive! I made and photographed my last summer dish!
Holla! <– Don’t slap me.
But don’t get it twisted, THIS is NOT my last summer dish!
While it feels good to be done and done with all my summer recipes, it feels a little strange to be moving on to fall dishes in the kitchen. My brain just doesn’t want to think about pumpkins and apples. And I might have forgotten how to turn on the oven. Plus I need to dust the cobwebs off my slow cooker. I’m thinking a SLOW transition from sweltering summer to comforting fall will be necessary.
Anyways, enough chit-chat about autumn. It’s waaaay too soon for all that boot and sweater coziness.
Right now it’s hotter than hell’s waiting room outside and I am all about the GRILL. And, today’s dish happens to be my favorite thing I have made ALL summer. Grilled Scallops with Avocado-Corn Salsa & Honey-Lime Vinaigrette
You guys, I kid you not when I say I have made and devoured this dish 7 times (possibly 8 or 10, who’s counting) in the last 3 weeks. I am BEYOND obsessed. Seriously, if I could wax poetic I would be writing ALL the sonnets and haikus about this insanely delicious dish.
First of all – Scallops. But not those puny bay scallops, U-10 scallops! They are my spirit animal. Tender, juicy, succulent, jumbo scallops with a bit of smoky char from the grill. Gahhh. SO.GOOD! I die.
Second, salsa. Fresh, savory salsa with creamy avocado, pops of sweet grilled corn, hints of spicy jalapeno, bites of pungent red onion and specks of herbaceous cilantro. Hold me. This is the stuff salsa dreams are made of.
Last, but oh my gawd, certainly not least, honey-lime vinaigrette. Tart, luscious, sweet, smooth and perfectly sassy. I may have bathed in this stuff.
Juicy grilled scallops + fresh avocado corn salsa + honey lime vinaigrette = NIRVANA
You NEED to get all up on this, my friends. Even persnickety Boy who despises scallops gave this dish two raving thumbs up. He saw THE LIGHT.
- When purchasing sea scallops look for scallops that are pearly-white in color and smell fresh like the ocean. Before grilling them, rinse them under cool water and pat them VERY dry. You will also need to remove the small side-muscle if it is still attached. To do so, just gently peel it off. You don’t want to eat the side-muscle because it is tough and chewy. Blech.
- You can grill the corn for the salsa in advance if you would like. However, I wouldn’t add the avocado to the salsa until you are ready to serve. No one likes brown avocado in there salsa biz. But, there is lime juice in the salsa, which will delay the oxidation. So if you must, you can prepare the salsa a day in advance.
- If you don’t have a food processor for the vinaigrette, don’t fret. You can use a mason jar. Place all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in the jar, seal tightly and shake vigorously to emulsify. If you are making the dressing in advance you will need to shake it again before serving.
Until Thursday friends, cheers – to mamma jamma, jumbo scallops for life.
- 2 pounds Large Sea Scallops - side muscle removed & patted dry
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- 1 Hass Avocado – pitted, peeled & small dice
- 2 Ears of Corn - shucked
- ¼ Red Onion – finely diced
- 1 Jalapeno – seeded and finely diced
- 1 TBS Cilantro Leaves – roughly chopped
- 1 Lime – juice
- Dash of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Vinaigrette: (yield about ⅔ Cup)
- 2 Limes – juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 3 TBS Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Heaping ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- Heaping ¼ tsp Cumin
- ⅛ tsp Coriander
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ⅛ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Good Olive Oil, plus more for grilling
- Make the dressing: In the bowl of a food processor add all ingredients except oil. Process together. With the motor running, slowly stream in oil. Process until emulsified. Transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Make sure you shake dressing well before using.
- Make the salsa: Combine all the ingredients for the salsa, except the corn, in a medium sized bowl. Season with a scant ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium high. Place corn on grill and cook, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and corn is cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Remove corn from grill and let cool slightly. Slice kernels off cob and transfer to bowl with salsa and gently stir to combine. Taste salsa and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle scallops with a bit of olive and season with salt and pepper. Place scallops on grill and cook, turning once, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- To Serve: Transfer scallops to a serving platter. Spoon salsa alongside of scallops and drizzle with some of the vinaigrette. Serve with remaining vinaigrette on side. Enjoy!
*Dressing will keep up to 5 days, covered in the refrigerator.
*Salsa will keep up to 2 days, covered in the refrigerator.
You Might Also Like: