Given this celebratory excess, you would think I would be posting something healthy and light today, right? Wrong. Despite having two college degrees, no one has ever accused me of being smart. I think it’s the blonde hair? Well, that and I most definitely march to the beat of my own unique drum.
I figured, shoot… I’ve already ate my weight in Mexican food all week long, why not indulge just a wee bit more before I imagine to hit the gym? Yeah, I couldn’t think of a good reason either.
Anyways, when it comes to chicken nuggets, Boy will only order and eat them from McDonalds or Chick-fil-A. Nuggets from a nice restaurant or café off the kids menu, Wendy’s or Zaxby’s? Forget about it. Don’t ask me why, I stopped trying to understand his quirks years ago. 🙂
So, when I wanted to make nuggets, I asked him which fast food joint I should try to recreate. He obviously chose Ronald’s nuggets. But, I wanted to put a hot spin on McD’s nuggets, because I am always dipping nuggets (grilled chicken, eggs, my fingers, etc.) into hot sauce. I figured, why not flavor the actual nugget with one of my favorite spicy men, Frank? The resulting nuggets turned out brilliantly and tasted ah-mazing. Behold my creation – McDonald’s Style Buffalo Chicken Nuggets.
However, I’m going to be honest about these superb nuggets. It is a heck of a lot quicker, and easier, to succumb to the fast food drive through Gods demons and order a 10 (or 20) piece from the golden arches than to make these. But, these are soooo. Much. Better. Can you say real white meat? And not McDonald’s “real white meat”. I’m talking about real white meat: Chicken breast, food processed with no weird additives, fillers and preservatives. Simply chicken breast, buffalo hot sauce, melted butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Done and Done.
Resist the urge to pull up to a drive-thru and join me in making your own McDonald’s style chicken nuggets. Just prepare to be amazed and possibly swear off fast food nuggets for life. 🙂 Until next time, Cheers!
Copycat McDonald's Style Buffalo Chicken Nuggets. Tender on the inside, golden brown n' crispy on the outside, and full of delicious buffalo hot sauce flavor, these nuggets are beyond delicious!
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – cubed (about 1 ½ pounds total)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- 3 TBS - ¼ Cup Franks Hot Sauce*
- 1 TBS Butter , melted
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- Peanut Oil for frying (about 1 ½ - 2 cups)
- Buffalo Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ Cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 TBS Butter – melted
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- Dash Kosher Salt
- Serving Options: Blue Cheese Dressing, Carrot Sticks, Celery Sticks
- For the Buffalo Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Nugget Mixture: Place cubed chicken in bowl of a food processor. Add in salt, parsley onion powder, pepper, butter and buffalo sauce. Process until it resembles a fine paste.
- Line a large sheet pan with plastic wrap.
- Roll chicken mixture into balls, about the size of a ping pong ball, roughly 2 tablespoons each. Place formed balls onto prepared sheet pan.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Set up breading station: place flour and salt onto a large plate and mix to combine. Pour eggs into a small bowl.
- Roll chicken balls in flour, then egg, and then back in flour again. Use your hands to flatten balls to form chicken nuggets. Transfer breaded nuggets back to prepared sheet pan. Repeat until all nuggets are breaded and formed.
- To Cook the Nuggets: Fry the nuggets, in batches, for 4-5 minutes total, until golden brown and cooked through (165 degrees F). Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain and season generously with salt while still warm.
- Serve with buffalo dipping sauce, blue cheese dressing, carrots and celery.
*For a very mild Buffalo flavored nugget use 3 tablespoons of Buffalo Hot Sauce in mixture. For a more pronounced Buffalo flavor use 1/4 Cup.
*Buffalo chicken mixture can be made in advance and balls can be formed in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
*Yield: roughly 22 Nuggets.
*Recipe adapted from SparkPeople