This simple Mushroom Marsala Cream Sauce is luxuriously rich, slightly sweet and a smidgen smokey. Serve it over steak, chicken or pasta to easily elevate any dish!
I’m going to share something with you that may make some of you question my integrity as a food blogger. But, I like to be honest! If this makes you no longer want to be friends… I guess I will just have to accept that, move on with my life, sadly and accompanied by many tears.
I do NOT like mushrooms. Caveat – I do not like MOST mushrooms. The tempura or traditionally fried ones are good. But, they are dipped, dredged, battered, or coated and then fried to crispy deliciousness… so does that really count??
I like stuffed mushrooms as well, the more ingredients stuffed in there – the BETTER! But, most of the time cheese is included in the stuffing… and how can you possibly not like that? Plus, we know how I feel about anything stuffed (LOVES IT!)… So does that really count??
And I really liked LOVED this!! I even licked my spoon fork clean when I was done devouring my enormous helping. This MUST count because it was YUMMM-Azzzing!!
The mushrooms add an extra little ‘ummphf’ of meaty flavor, without being overwhelming because they are cooked over low heat – allowing them to mellow and impart magic on the sauce.
The Marsala wine gives it a rich, slightly sweet and smoky flavor.
The butter and cream… do I REALLLY need to explain this one??… gives it a luxurious, silky texture.
Then, seasoned properly, (meaning don’t be chintzy with the salt. Cream can handle and NEEDS salt) the sauce becomes perfecto! Served atop a melt in your mouth rib-eye????
I was totally swooning over this dish. And Boy was definitely asking why I didn’t make more. Oops!! So this dish makes me question my ‘distaste’ of mushrooms… it’s that scrumptious.
Now off you go into the world to buy the ingredients necessary to make this. If you make this for the ones you love, I can pretty much promise you they will love you a little more.
Or, at least wash the dishes with a smile, give you a massage, or let you have control of the remote for the night.
- 1 TBS Unsalted Butter
- ½ Medium Shallot – Fine Dice
- 5 oz Cremini , Baby Bella, or White Button Mushrooms (Or Combination of each) – Thinly Sliced
- 1 Clove Garlic – Minced
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp All Purpose Flour
- ¾ Cup Dry Marsala
- ¼ Cup Beef Stock (unsalted)
- 1 TBS + 1 ½ tsp Heavy Cream
- ¼ tsp Dry Thyme
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley – Chopped
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
- Low , Slow Perfectly Cooked Steak - https://www.nospoonnecessary.com/low-slow-perfectly-cooked-steak/ (or your favorite prepared Steak)
- Heat a Sauté pan over Medium to Medium High Heat.
- Melt Butter in Pan. Add Shallots plus a pinch of Salt. Sauté 1-2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add Mushrooms to Pan. Sauté until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are barely cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add Garlic and ¼ tsp Salt to Pan. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle Flour over Vegetables; stir to incorporate.
- Reduce heat to Medium Low-Medium. Add Marsala Wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 4 - 6 minutes. Scrapping up browned bits off bottom of the pan.
- Add Beef Stock; cook, again, until slightly reduced, about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Stir in Cream and Thyme.
- Reduce Heat to Medium- Medium Low to maintain a gentle Simmer.
- Simmer 5 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Parsley. Taste and adjust salt and pepper content according to taste.
Yield: 1 cup sauce
*Additional Serving Options:
The world is your oyster, this sauce is Delish straight from the pan on its own…just you, a spoon, and no shame! 😉