This delicious deli-style whipped cream cheese is light, fluffy and so flavorful: perfect for spreading on bagels, toast and sandwich wraps, or using as a dip with raw veggies! You can make this cream cheese spread plain or customize it however you like (think: chive and onion, walnut and honey, plus more!). This simple flavored cream cheese recipe allows you have it your way – in 10 minutes or less!
Update: This post was originally published in June 2014. I’ve updated the post below to include more information about making whipped cream cheese from scratch. Plus, I’ve included step-by-step photos so you can see exactly how easy this cream cheese spread is to make at home!
Those who know me know it’s no secret that I love cream cheese. Thick and creamy with the perfect amount of tang, cream cheese is such a delicious and versatile ingredient. Today I’m showing you how take that simple block of cream cheese to the next level yum!
Here’s everything you need to know about making your own whipped cream cheese, and flavoring it too!
Quick Navigation - Table of Contents
About this whipped cream cheese recipe
Sure, plain cream cheese is delicious! But, have you ever whipped and flavored it?! It’s life changing!
This recipe emphasizes the luscious, smooth texture of cream cheese by pairing it with Greek yogurt for a rich savory spread that’s ultra-creamy, airy and perfectly spreadable! Pairing the mixture with garlic, chives and onions creates cream cheese schmear that’s nothing short of nirvana! However, you can customize your cream cheese spread just about any way you want! Keep your spread simple or get fancy by adding fun seasonings and herbs to make different flavor variations!
This light, fluffy cream cheese is impressively versatile, too! Use it as a spread for bagels, a smear for sandwiches and wraps, or as a dip for vegetable sticks, like carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower! No matter how you spread, smear, dollop or dip, rich whipped cream cheese is an easy way to elevate everyday snacks and meals!
Why you’ll love this cream cheese recipe!
- 3 ingredients! Whipping cream cheese at home is so easy – you only need a 3 basic ingredients, along with any seasonings or flavoring ingredients you love.
- 5 minutes! This recipe is so easy! You can whip and flavor cream cheese in under 5 minutes, flat!
- Specialty cream cheese flavors! This simple cream cheese recipe allows you to add your personal touch. You can keep things simple by adding fresh garlic and chives, or get creative and explore new combinations of flavors!
- All natural! Store-bought flavored cream cheeses may be convenient; however, they also contain undesirable additives and preservatives. Making cream cheese spreads at home means they only contains the ingredients YOU choose!
- Amazingly versatile! Flavor-infused cream cheeses are such a simple, yet delicious way to elevate everyday dishes, such as bagels, turkey pinwheel sandwiches and more!
- Perfect for gifting! Everyone loves an edible gift made with love! A tub of homemade cream cheese spread is a great gift for any occasion.
Flavored cream cheese ingredients
You need three basic ingredients to make ultra-creamy, luxuriously-soft whipped cream cheese – block cream cheese, an enricher (Greek yogurt, sour cream or milk) and Worcestershire! You can use this basic whipped cream cheese recipe to create different specialty flavors, from chive cream cheese to walnut and honey cream cheese, and everything in between!
- Cream Cheese: You’ll need 8 ounces of room temperature cream cheese for this recipe. Be sure to use full-fat cream cheese for the absolute best texture and taste. Also, make sure your cheese is at room temperature for easy whipping!
- Substitution: You can substitute the yogurt for any thick, creamy condiment, such as sour cream, crème fraîche, ricotta, or even goat cheese, in equal amounts. Alternatively, you can omit the yogurt and use 1 tablespoon of milk or heavy cream to whip the cream cheese.
- Yogurt (enricher): The secret to perfect whipped cream cheese is to whip the cheese with an enriching ingredient, like Full-fat Greek yogurt. This addition gives your cheese spread a much lighter, airier, and creamier mouthfeel; while also bringing the distinctive tangy flavor to the forefront.
- Worcestershire: A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce is the secret to the best tasting cream cheese spread! Tangy, savory, sweet and salty in flavor, Worcestershire adds a lot of umami flavor!
- Substitution: Worcestershire sauce really is the star of this recipe as it delivers a ton of flavor. However, you can use an equal amount of soy sauce or even fish sauce instead.
- Salt and Pepper: A generous pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper ties all the flavors together.
Flavored cream cheese variations
The beauty of homemade cream cheese spreads or dips is that you can make them exactly the way you want them! And, since this cream cheese recipe is super adaptable, the flavor combinations are endless! Simply start with the whipped cheese base and add flavoring ingredients based on your needs! Below are a few delicious cream cheese flavors to help spark your culinary creativity!
How to flavor cream cheese
- Use capers! If you want to add pops of saltiness to your whipped cream cheese dip, capers are a great way to do it! These briny bits will give it a new layer of yumminess.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes. Add some warm color and a robust umami taste to your cream cheese spread. Mixing a few chopped sun-dried tomatoes will go a long way!
- Toss in fresh herb! My favorite way to spruce up cream cheese is to add fresh herbs. Chive and onion cream cheese is my favorite; however, fresh parsley, dill, basil, oregano, and thyme all work well, too! There is nothing stopping you from adding your fave herbs to the mix! I think adding some parsley, dill, basil, rosemary, thyme, or oregano will work well.
- Fresh flavor without the herbs! If you are out of fresh herbs, stir a small amount of pesto into your cream cheese mixture!
- Make it spicy! If you love food with a punch of heat, try mixing in jalapeño bits or add a dash of cayenne or chili powder.
- Sweeten it up! Of course, for those with a sweet tooth, you can omit the Worcestershire and add a splash of maple syrup or honey instead. If you are a fan of sweet cream cheese spreads (think: the flavored cream cheeses at Panera), this will give you that sweet undertone that you are looking for.
- Add bacon bits! Omit the green onions from the recipe and add up to 10 slices of crispy-cooked and crumbled bacon or turkey bacon.
- Make it vegan. Make a plant-based cream cheese dip by using vegan cream cheese and swapping the Worcestershire with dark soy sauce.
How to whip cream cheese?
Your favorite light and airy flavored cream cheese schmear is so easy to make at home! You only need 3 basic ingredients (plus any flavorings you love) and 5 minutes to make this easy cheese recipe!
- Whip cream cheese: Add the soft cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, or to a medium mixing bowl and use a hand held mixer. Beat the cream cheese on medium speed creamy.
- Add yogurt or milk: Add the yogurt to the bowl and beat on low until combined.
- Add flavor: Add any flavoring ingredients you love and mix on medium-low until the cream cheese is ultra-creamy, similar to whipped cream frosting! Shown below is garlic, chive and onion – my personal favorite.
- Use or store: Use your homemade cream cheese flavor immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Tips for the best chive cream cheese
- Soften the cream cheese first. The cheese must be at room temperature to get that perfectly fluffy consistency.
- Use a stand mixer for quick work. If using a stand mixer with a large bowl, you’ll need to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
- Whip cheese, then add yogurt (or milk). Make sure you whip the cream cheese before you add any other ingredient!
That’s it – all the secrets to the best cream cheese! Luxuriously light in texture and superior in taste, it’s perfect for slathering all the things!
FAQ: Frequently asked questions
What can I use if I do not have yogurt?
Yogurt adds a tangy creaminess to this whipped cream cheese recipe. However, you can use sour cream, crème fraîche or even ricotta in equal amounts. Or, if you are in a pinch, you can substitute whole milk, but use just 1 tablespoon to start.
What can I use as an alternative to Worcestershire?
You can try using a mix of soy sauce and hoisin sauce instead. You can also use balsamic vinegar, dark soy sauce, coconut aminos, or oyster sauce.
Why is my whipped cream cheese runny?
There are three reasons your homemade cream cheese turned runny.
- You didn’t whip the cream cheese first. You must whip the room temperature cream cheese first, before adding any other ingredient! Whipping the cream cheese creates air pockets which gives it a lighter, airier texture.
- Too much liquid. The purpose of whipping cream cheese with Greek yogurt or milk is to create a super light, perfectly spreadable consistency. However, if you add too much it will cause your cheese to become watery.
- You over-whipped the cream cheese. It is possible to over-mix your cream cheese spread! To prevent this from happening, don’t go above medium speed when mixing.
Can I serve chive cream cheese right away?
Sure, you can use your flavored cream cheese recipe right away! However, it is better to let the spread chill in the refrigerator for several hours to give time for the flavors to meld and marry. I recommend making a big batch of deli-style cream cheese and storing it in the refrigerator for easy usage!
Serving suggestions for cream cheese spread
Whether you enjoy it plain or jazz it up with chives and onions, this easy cream cheese spread is so versatile! You can enjoy this simple cream cheese so many different ways!
- Spread it on toasted New York bagels, toasts, baguettes, fluffy rolls and crusty bread!
- Add whipped cream cheese to your charcuterie board as a dip for crackers, crudité, pretzels, or chips. You can also go healthy and serve it alongside vegetable and fruit slices like carrots, cucumber, celery, radish, apples, melon, kiwi, etc.!
- As a filling for wraps, sandwiches, and even egg omelets or salmon pinwheels!
- Mix it with mayonnaise and use it to make chicken salad with cream cheese.
- Mix flavored cream cheese into your sauces and soups to give them a creamy texture and a pop of tangy flavor!
- Use it as a super creamy dressing and drizzle it over your favorite fresh salads.
How to store flavored cream cheese?
This flavored cream cheese spread is great for making ahead! Besides, it’s so easy to double or triple this recipe, making whipped cream cheese perfect for meal prep!
- In the Fridge. Transfer the whipped cheese into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. When properly stored, your homemade cream cheese will stay fresh for up to a whole week! (I actually like it better after a few days of storage, when the flavors have fully mingled and harmonized.)
- In the Freezer. If you are looking for a longer term storage solution, the freezer is your best bet. Your cheese and chive dip will last for up to 2 months stored in an airtight container in the freezer.
- To use: Thaw the chive whipped cream cheese in the fridge overnight before using, and give it a good mix to get the creaminess back. Remember that the longer it is frozen, the more grainy and runny it will be when thawed. However, the flavors should still be there!
Nothing beats a perfectly fluffy and perfectly flavored cream cheese spread! Whether you’re slathering bagels or stuffing your sandwich wraps, this easy whipped cream cheese recipe makes everything taste better!
Until next time, friends, cheers!
Tell me in the comments! How are you going to use your homemade chive and onion cream cheese!?
If you love cream cheese as much as we do, you’ve got to try this super easy cream cheese dessert dip next!!
More delicious whipped spreads!
If you love this recipe for whipped cream cheese, try one of these homemade spread recipes next!
- How to Make Garlic Butter (10 flavor variations and uses.)
- Avocado Hummus Spread (Spicy, creamy and totally delicious.)
- Bagel Spread (Healthy spread or dip with cream cheese and bagel seasonings.)
- Avocado as Butter (If you love avocados, you’ll want to try this simple spread.)
- Whipped Ricotta Recipe (The perfect savory spread.)
How to make whipped cream cheese at home👇
Whipped Flavored Cream Cheese
- Stand Mixer or Bowl with Hand-Held Mixer
- 8 Oz Block-Style Cream Cheese – at room temperature
- 3 TBS Greek Yogurt - or more to taste (SEE NOTES)
- 1 Clove Garlic - grated (or ¼ tsp Garlic Powder)
- 1/3 Cup Chives (or ¼ tsp Garlic Powder)
- 3 TBS Green Onions (Scallions) – white and pale green parts only; finely chopped (about 6 scallions)
- 2 Splashes Worcestershire (about 1/8 tsp)
- Kosher Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- Whip cream cheese: In a medium bowl with a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the softened cream cheese on MEDIUM speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add yogurt: Add the yogurt to the bowl and mix on LOW until light and combined. (SEE NOTES for substitutes.)
- Add flavor: Add the garlic, chives, scallions, dash of Worcestershire, generous pinch of each, kosher salt and black pepper. Blend on LOW until the chives and onions are fully mixed into the cream cheese.
- Adjust for consistency and taste: Add more yogurt, a tablespoon at a time, for a fluffier cream cheese. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Chill (recommended for best flavor): Use a spatula to scrape the chive cream cheese out into a storage container. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours to allow the flavors to mingle and meld together.
- Serve: Enjoy flavored cream cheese on toasted bagels and toast, with crackers or crudité, as a filling for wraps and omelets, and more!
- Yogurt Substitute – Milk: If you are in a pinch, you can use whole milk instead of Greek yogurt; however, start with just 1 tablespoon.
- Creamy Yogurt Substitutes: For a slightly different flavor, you can swap the yogurt our for Ricotta or Goat Cheese, Sour Cream or Crème Fraiche, or Greek Yogurt! You can use up to 4 tablespoons of these milk substitutes!
- Amount of yogurt: You can use up to 6 tablespoons of yogurt if you are looking to make a creamy whipped cream cheese. Or, if you’d rather make a light and airy cream cheese dip, you can use up to ¾ cup of yogurt.
- Bacon and chive variation: Omit the scallions from the recipe and add up to 10 slices of crispy-cooked bacon, finely crumbled or chopped.
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. Please do not republish this recipe without prior consent. To reference this recipe, please link directly to this post.