This Chorizo Tequila Queso Fundido is the perfect game day grub or snack fare! Cheesy, oozy, boozy, meaty and packed with tons of flavor, this easy Queso Dip Recipe tastes better than dip at your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Disclaimer: For those of you who do not know, I am a proud FSU alumni. Our colors are garnet and gold. I have had a few mishaps in the kitchen, and I know for a fact that, I bleed those colors. I reserve all rights to
know state that FSU is the absolute best and to post my opinion here on NSN. Therefore, if you are not a garnet and gold fan, feel free to borrow the duct tape in my garage and kindly place it over your pie hole. (I kid! I kid!!)
Dips in particular. You just should not watch football, or any sport for that matter, without indulging in a dip of some sort. Dips are not only snack-tastically fantastic, they are relatively quick and easy. And added bonus, a dip topped chip is the perfect size to
easily lovingly shove place in a rival fans mouth to prevent them from spewing trash talk your way.
THIS dip, this amazing chorizo tequila queso fundido, is everything a dip should be. It is cheesy, oozy, boozy, meaty, and packed with a ton of flavor. It most definitely belongs on the table at your next football watchin’, trash talkin’, food munchin’ gathering. Oh, AND it is golden, with a smidgen of garnet if you squint just right at the diced tomatoes. (Yay!)
This chorizo tequila queso fundido is a cinch to throw together, can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd, and it can certainly be adapted to whatever flavors you are digging at the current moment. Substitute the jack cheese out for some melty Mexican queso quesadilla cheese or a combination of cheeses.
Want a little more spice? Use habaneros. Want a little less spice (of course I don’t recommend this)? Use poblanos. Want more vegetables? Add some diced mushrooms or a variety of bell peppers. No rules here people, because you really can’t go wrong when we are talking about a dip with this much cheese.
On to the fun part, the tequila! You really can’t taste it in this, but if you are looking to put your party guests on their bum, feel free to amp up the amount. The tequila just gives it a little zing of flavor, plus it allows you to flambé (Fun!!).
But, if you aren’t a tequila person, don’t let that ingredient be off putting to you. Just use a different liquor, preferably one that is still highly flammable, like 151, because I know you totally want to light this on fire.
Or maybe that is just my obsession… hey, I’m not ashamed to admit I am a kitchen pyromaniac. But I always practice culinary pyrotechnics safely… mostly because I like my eyebrows exactly where they are. Plus, I would look really strange without them. Then again, would anyone look normal without their eyebrows?
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes Serves: 3-4
- 8 ounces Hot Chorizo (about 3 links, if you can’t find ground, removed from casing)
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- ½ Yellow Onion – small dice
- 1 Jalapeno – seeded and finely diced
- 1 large Tomato – cored, seeded and diced
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 1 TBS + 1 ½ tsp Tequila
- 1 ½ Cups Jack Cheese – grated
- 1-2 TBS Cilantro – roughly chopped, to taste for garnish
- Tortilla Chips , for serving
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook through, about 5 minutes, using the flat edge of a spatula to break up pieces.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chorizo to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Reserve chorizo drippings in pan.
- Increase heat to medium high. Add onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until vegetables are softened, stirring often, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in tequila and tip pan to ignite (BEING CAREFUL!!). After flame subsides, reduce heat to low. Cook and stir vegetables constantly, until pan is almost dry, about 2 minutes.
- Add Cheese, one handful at a time, stirring continuously, until cheese is fully melted, about 1 minute after all cheese is added.
- Transfer Queso Fundido to a serving bowl. Top with reserved chorizo. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.