Quick and Easy Grilled Honey Lemon Chicken Skewers. Served over a delicate arugula & basil salad, this skewer and salad combo is perfect for weeknight dinners and summer entertaining!
Well hey there, friends!
I’m a year older (yes, I had a birthday) and I have a new address (we moved!), but I. Am. BACK!
…Cue some AC/DC Back in Black . Except I’m not wearing any black right now. Hello summer. It’s entirely too dang hot for black articles of clothing.
Anyways, did you miss me?!
I definitely missed you!
While I’ve been gone I certainly hope you’ve been enjoying your summer!
I feel like we have SO much to catch up on, but my little blog leave of absence was a far cry from a relaxing sabbatical. And I’m suuuuuper exhausted.
So, we are going to keep things short and sweet today…
But don’t worry, I’ll fill you in on all the deets of what’s going on over here at the SuBourbon Country Cottage 2.0 soon!
Until then, let’s FEAST!
Grilled Honey Lemon Chicken Skewers
… with Arugula & Basil Salad
AKA Fancy Pants Skewers with Salad
Juicy, succulent cubes of chicken flavored with tart lemon, sweet honey, aromatic basil and smoky char from the grill. Served atop a bed of peppery arugula scattered with pungent shallots, salty grated pecorino cheese, crunchy pine nuts and herbaceous fresh basil.
These skewers are SO much more than just meat on a stick. The mix of the honey-lemon chicken with the fresh greens is a delicious, delicate dance of light summer flavors. It is HEAVENLY, friends.
PLUS, these skewers only require 20 minutes, or less, of hands on time! (<– Read: SUPER quick and easy!)
Basically, THIS is how you should summer.
Notes, Tips & Tricks for Grilled Honey Lemon Chicken Skewers with Arugula & Basil Salad recipe:
- You can use either chicken breasts or chicken thighs for these grilled honey lemon chicken skewers, just make sure you are using boneless, skinless chicken. Be sure to cut the chicken into cubes roughly 1 – 1 ½’’ in size. Chicken cut too small in size is prone to overcooking and drying out.
- When you marinate the chicken, make sure you marinate it for at least 30 minutes, but since there is lemon juice in the marinade, do NOT marinate for longer than 4 or 5 hours. (The lemon juice will “cook” the meat, so if you marinate it too long the chicken will end up dry and mushy in texture)
- If you are using wooden skewers, make sure you soak the skewers for at least 30 minutes in water to prevent them from burning on the grill!
- I am a big fan of dipping sauces so I served my skewers with a simple Greek yogurt dip. I mixed Greek yogurt with honey, Dijon, lemon juice, salt and pepper – all to taste.
Quick, easy and delightfully delicious, these Grilled Honey Lemon Chicken Skewers with Arugula & Basil Salad NEED to be a part of your summer line up!
Until Thursday, friends, cheers – to gussied up meat on a stick.
How to make Grilled Honey Lemon Chicken Skewers with Arugula & Basil Salad at home👇
Grilled Honey Lemon Chicken Skewers with Arugula & Basil Salad
- 1 ½ pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs – cut into 1 – 1 ½’’ cubes
- 1 large Lemon – Juice and Zest (approximately 1/4 cup juice and a scant TBS zest)
- 4 TBS Honey
- 3 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic – peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 Cup + 2 TBS Fresh Basil divided (1 cup leaves and 2 TBS chiffonade)
- 2 Cups Arugula packed
- 1 large Shallot – thinly sliced
- 1/3 Cup Pecorino Cheese – freshly grated or more to taste
- 2 TBS Pine Nuts
Optional Garnishes: Micro Greens, Grilled Lemon Wedges, Cherry Tomatoes
- For the marinade: In a small non-reactive bowl whisk together the lemon juice, zest, honey, garlic and 2 tablespoons of basil. Place the cubed chicken into a large zip-closure bag and pour all but 2 tablespoons of the honey-lemon mixture over the chicken. Seal the bag and toss to coat. Transfer the bag to the refrigerator and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. Set the remaining honey-lemon mixture aside (you will use this to brush on the chicken as it is grilling).
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Remove chicken from the bag and discard marinade. Thread the chicken onto skewers* and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers for 4-5 minutes on each side for a total of 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through, brushing occasionally with the reserved honey-lemon mixture.
- To Serve: In a large bowl toss together the arugula, remaining 1 cup of basil, shallot and cheese. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with pine nuts. Top the salad with the skewers and serve with optional garnishes. Enjoy!