Healthy, delicious Oregano Chicken Mediterranean Zoodle Bowls. Succulent, tender chicken breasts bursting with oregano and lemon flavor, piled high on zucchini noodles and finished with mini balls of mozzarella, roasted red peppers, pine nuts and olives.
So, don’t hate me you guys, but I walked outside this morning with Dolce and I actually got excited for fall. I know- say whaaaat? This, coming from the girl who claims to love all things summer?! Hear me out. The air was crisp, brisk, and the perfect temperature. The wind was blowing ever so slightly, the branches on the trees were swaying, and the birds were chirping a fall tone… I was feeling it. My soul was totally saying, “Bring it on, autumn!”
If you follow my blog, you know I just moved from Florida to North Carolina, so this will be the first time I get to experience full on seasons! You know, the whole shebang of the leaves changing colors, the weather getting colder and fall clothing (<– Yay for comfy thin sweaters)! I can’t help but be a little jazzed!
However, while I am super excited for all that seasonal change fabulousness, I am going to miss the fresh, vibrant, juicy, delicious fruits and veggies summer yields. Therefore, I will be grilling and stuffing my face with ALL things summa-tastic while I still can! Because before I know it, this blog will be full of football dude food, then apples, pumpkins, comforting fall dishes, and finally holiday delights. So we absolutely must grill all the things! You heaaarrrd? You feel me.
Obviously, I grilled something spectacular and healthy for you guys today –Grilled Oregano Chicken Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Bowls. Woot Woot!
These bowls are healthy, light and refreshingly delicious. These babies are loaded with magnificent Mediterranean num nums that your I-heart-ALL-the-things-summer self craves. The grilled oregano chicken is lemony, herbaceous, succulent, tender and char-licious. It is so fantastically full of flavor I had to purchase, marinate, and grill MORE… because Boy and I ate the entire pound of chicken – straight off the grill, leaving me none for the actual bowls! Don’t judge. #FoodBloggerProblems
BUT, that is just the chicken. Clearly, you can’t have a “bowl” without more. I decided to serve the chicken over zucchini noodles. It recently crossed my mind that while I have a spiralizer, and I use it to noodle all the things possible, I have NEVER posted ANYTHING spiralized. Don’t ask me why. I have no rhyme or reason. But I am fixing that today, so I know you forgive me. 🙂
The “zoodles” are tossed in a silky, smooth, garlicky, lemony, olive oil mixture that is toe-ts delicious. All of that YUM is topped with glorious Mediterranean ingredients – creamy bocconcini, sweet roasted red peppers, salty green olives, spicy crushed red peppers, nut-nummy pine nuts, and zippy lemon zest. The overall result? A pungent, crunchy, creamy, wonderfully delicious bowl of Oh.My.Gawd. Gimme all this summer yum!
Trust and believe. You need to do this before it’s too late. Before autumn weather takes over your soul and you are surrounded by Halloween candy, pumpkin decorations and eventually annoying Christmas carols on the radio… on repeat. So stop reading; start marinating and spiralizing! I know you guys are going to love this bodacious bowl of all things delicious just as much as we did! Cheers and happy zoodle-ing!
Oregano Chicken Mediterranean Zoodle Bowl
- Oregano Chicken:
- 2 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts – pounded to even thickness* (about 1 pound total)
- 1 tsp Anchovy Paste (can substitute 1 anchovy, minced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic – minced
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Lemon Zest
- ½ small Yellow Onion – thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Fresh Oregano – roughly chopped – thinly sliced, plus more for garnishing
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Vegetable Oil – to brush grates
- 2 Zucchini – spiralized (about 1 pound total)
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 TBS Lemon Juice (about 1 small lemon)
- ½ tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small clove Garlic - minced
- Bowl Garnishes , to taste (optional):
- Bocconcini Cheese
- Sweet Roasted Red Peppers - thinly sliced
- Green Olives
- Pine Nuts
- Lemon Zest
- Fresh Oregano Leaves
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Marinate the Chicken: In a large Ziploc bag combine the anchovy paste, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, onion and oregano. Add chicken breasts and toss to coat. Set aside in the refrigerator for 6 hours to overnight to allow to marinate.
- Meanwhile, Prepare the Zucchini Noodles: Transfer the “noodles” to a fine mesh strainer set into a large bowl. Generously salt the noodles and toss to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the salt to remove excess moisture from the “noodles” and drain. Use a clean tea towel or paper towels to squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the noodles. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, garlic and a pinch of pepper. Pour mixture over zucchini noodles and toss to combine.
- To Grill the Chicken: Remove chicken from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling. Heat a grill, or grill pan, to medium/medium-high heat. Generously oil grates with vegetable oil. Remove chicken from marinade and allow excess to drip off and back into bag. Discard marinade.
- Grill chicken until browned, about 3-6 minutes. Flip and continue to grill on the second side and until browned and chicken is cooked through* (an instant read thermometer registers 160 degrees F.), an additional 3-6 minutes. Transfer to a clean work surface and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Cut into large bite sized pieces.
- To Serve: Divide zoodles equally between two bowls. Top with grilled chicken, bocconcini, red peppers, green olives and pine nuts. Garnish with lemon zest and oregano. Serve and enjoy!
*If chicken is starting to brown too quickly before thermometer registers 160 degrees F, move chicken to a cooler side of the grill to finish cooking.
*Grilling time for chicken will depend on thickness and size of chicken
*Inactive Marinade Time of 6+ hours