This Healthy Roasted Cauliflower Soup uses a secret ingredient for an ultra-creamy, luxuriously rich texture – without all the heavy cream! It’s so simple to prepare and made with just 8 ingredients, plus a few pantry spices! Featuring deeply flavorful caramelized cauliflower and plenty of aromatic seasonings, this cream of cauliflower soup is cozy, hearty and bursting with robust flavor!
Update: This post was originally published in November 2015. I took new photos and added a recipe video to show you exactly how easy it is to make creamy, healthy cauliflower soup at home!
Healthy Roasted Cauliflower Soup: recipe overview
This cauliflower soup is everything you want in a healthy soup – it’s creamy, rich, thick and fantastically flavorful – and will warm your right up without weighing you down!
This recipe features deliciously caramelized cauliflower, fresh vegetables, aromatic spices, creamy white beans and umami-packed bacon (optional). It’s savory, perfectly creamy, totally comforting and healthy – all at the same time!
Plus, this roasted cauliflower soup is easy to prepare with just eight easy-to-find ingredients and a few pantry seasonings!! Oh, and if you happen to have a picky eater who hates vegetables, this soup is a MUST! This recipe has been picky-eater devoured and approved!! So, if you are looking to sneak more veggies into someones diet, top their bowls of soup with fun garnishes – such as a generous scattering of crispy bacon and sprinkling of smooth cheddar, or crushed tortilla chips and pico de gallo – and watch them scarf it down!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 8 basic ingredients! You only need 8 simple-t0-find ingredients along with a few pantry seasonings to make the best cauliflower soup right in your very own kitchen!
- Easy recipe! This recipe is super simple and fool-proof to prepare!
- Rich and creamy without all the heavy cream! This creamy cauliflower soup is thick and ultra-creamy like a bisque or chowder, without multiple cups of heavy cream and/or potatoes!
- Amazing flavor! Between the caramelized cauliflower, aromatic seasonings, creamy beans and touch of half-and-half, this soup is unapologetically rich and flavorful!
- Customizable toppings! Toppings are the best way to totally customize your bowl of healthy cauliflower soup! Top it off with bacon and cheese if you’re feeling naughty or a dollop of Greek yogurt and fresh herbs for a lighter garnishing touch!
- Great way to sneak veggies into your (or your kids) diet! Little and big kids alike absolutely love this soup!
What do I need to make cauliflower soup?
This creamy cauliflower soup recipe requires just eight simple ingredients along with a few pantry seasonings! Below is a comprehensive list of the ingredients you will need to make this recipe.
Ingredients in this recipe
- Cauliflower: You will need one large head of cauliflower for this recipe. Make sure your cauliflower is approximately 2 1/2 pounds, give or take.
- Onion: You can use either a yellow onion or sweet onion, depending upon your personal preference!
- Jalapeño: One large jalapeño adds a touch of smoky, earthy flavor as well as a touch of heat. If you don’t like anything spicy, make sure you remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapeño before dicing it!
- Seasonings: A combination of cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper all provide a ton of flavor!
- Garlic: Two cloves of garlic provide a subtle, yet distinctive punchy taste. Make sure you use fresh garlic, and not the minced variety sold in a jar!
- Cannellini Beans: White beans are the secret ingredient to making this soup thick and ultra-creamy without loading it up with heavy cream!! Make sure you thoroughly rinse and drain your white beans before using them in the recipe.
- Stock: Chicken or vegetable stock makes up the liquid base of this soup. Make sure you are using a no- or low-sodium stock! You can substitute broth or Better than Bouillon if you prefer.
- Half and Half: A touch of half and half adds a luxurious layer of rich flavor. I suggest using the half and half to taste, using more for a richer mouthfeel. Alternatively, you can substitute heavy cream if you want a truly cozy, rich soup experience!
- Bacon (optional): While entirely optional, bacon adds the perfect savory, salty and umami element to this soup!
Substitutions and variations
This roasted cauliflower soup recipe is somewhat flexible, so please feel free to substitute ingredients based upon your personal preference or what you have readily available!
- Leeks: If you prefer a milder, more delicate onion flavor, leeks are a wonderful substitute for regular onions! When using leeks, make sure you rinse them thoroughly and only use the white base and light green portion of the stalk in this creamy soup!
- Serrano: If you prefer your soup with a spicy kick, you can substitute serrano peppers for the jalapeño! Jalapeños are much more mild in flavor and serrano peppers are (generally) about five times as spicy!
- Bell Pepper: If spicy isn’t your thing, you can use a bell pepper instead of a jalapeño!
- Seasonings: This healthy cauliflower soup uses a combination of Tex-Mex seasonings; however, you can customize the seasonings to your liking! Ground coriander is a delicious addition, or you can totally switch up the seasonings and use a combination of cayenne + parsley, sweet paprika + thyme or cumin + coriander and turmeric!
- Better than Bouillon: If you prefer Better than Bouillon you can use that instead of stock!
- Vegetarian Option: If you are looking to make this a vegetarian cauliflower soup, simply omit the bacon and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock!
How to make roasted cauliflower soup?
This creamy soup recipe is so simple and only requires 15 minutes of hands on preparation!
Roast Cauliflower: In a large mixing bowl, toss cauliflower florets with olive oil and seasonings. Transfer the cauliflower to a sheet pan and roast until the cauliflower is golden, about 20-30 minutes. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and set aside.
For the Soup – If using bacon: Add bacon to a Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crispy. Turn off the heat and use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set the bacon aside. If not using bacon, skip the above and heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of neutral oil in a Dutch oven or Stock Pot over medium heat. Proceed to next instruction.
Add vegetables: Return the heat to medium and add the onions and jalapeños, along with the seasonings. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add remaining ingredients & simmer: Add the roasted cauliflower, cannellini beans and stock to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
Puree: Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth and very creamy. (Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a stand blender, puree, and transfer back to pot). Add half-and-half: Return heat to low and stir in the half-and-half. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Serve: Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish the top with bacon and your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!
What kitchen tools do I need?
This healthy cream of cauliflower soup requires very minimal, basic kitchen equipment!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Sheet Pan
- Dutch Oven or Large Soup Pot
- Immersion or Stand Blender
- Serving Bowls
How to puree cauliflower in soup?
There are two ways you can puree cauliflower when making creamy soup – an immersion blender or a stand blender.
- Immersion Blender: Using an immersion blender is the quickest, easiest and least messy way to puree cauliflower soup. Before using your immersion blender, make sure you turn the heat off underneath the pot! Next, insert the blender into the pot and puree the soup until it is creamy and thick in texture.
- Stand Blender: Using a stand blender is a bit more cumbersome than an immersion blender; however, it works great! To use a stand blender to puree a soup, transfer the soup from the pot to the blender in batches (don’t fill the blender up to the top). Pureeing in batches will help you avoid the hot soup from exploding out the blender, as hot soup steams and expands which will push the top off of the blender. Once you have a portion of the soup in the blender, use a towel and press down to cover the top of the blender. Next, puree the soup until it’s creamy and thick in texture. Once pureed, transfer the soup back to the soup pot and repeat pureeing in batches until all the soup is creamy and thick.
How to make roasted cream of cauliflower soup step-by-step photos
(Don’t forget to scroll down for the detailed instructions in the complete printable recipe at the bottom of the page.)
Are you looking for garnishes and toppings to elevate your soup or wondering what sides to serve with it? Below are delicious ideas for how to dress up your soup and transform it into a full-blown meal!
How to serve roasted cauliflower soup?
You should serve this creamy vegetable soup warm or hot, as soon as possible after making it. While you can serve it at room temperature or cold, the soup will lack the same depth of flavor and won’t be very appetizing.
You can serve creamy cauliflower soup as a warming appetizer or starter if you are entertaining, as a delicious side dish to sandwiches and salads, or as a cozy, lighter main meal.
If you are looking for easy, fun serving ideas, try serving this soup in a bread bowl! Or, throw a party and set up a soup bar complete with an abundance of toppings and garnishes!
What toppings can I add?
Toppings and garnishes are the perfect way to customize your soup and transform it from good to great!! Soup toppers can range from crunchy or creamy, and salty or savory, to herbaceous! You can choose to add one or more topping to your soup, depending upon your preference. Or set a bunch of toppings in individual bowls and let your family pick their favorites!
- Bacon: This recipe includes crispy, salty, umami-packed bacon as a garnish!
- Cheese: Shredded or grated cheese is the perfect complement to this creamy soup! I love using cheddar; however, parmesan, gruyere, Colby jack, mozzarella and provolone will also taste great!
- Herbs: Fresh herbs are a wonderful way to add a touch of herbaceous, fresh flavor! Green onions, chives, cilantro, parsley and thyme are all delicious topping options!
- Sour Cream: Tangy, thick sour cream is a must if you want an ultra-luxurious mouthfeel!
- Tortillas: Crushed tortilla chips or strips are a fun, crunchy topping option!
- Croutons: If you prefer a traditional crunchy element, you can never go wrong with a scattering of croutons as a topping!
- Chickpeas: Crispy roasted chickpeas are a delicious option if you are looking for a healthier topping!
- Cauliflower Florets: Reserve a few roasted cauliflower florets to use as an easy and visually pleasing garnish!
What to serve with a creamy soup?
This rich and creamy vegetable soup is delicious on it’s own and hearty enough to be enjoyed as a stand-alone dish. However, if you are looking to turn your pot of soup into a more well-rounded meal, it pairs deliciously with everything from salads and sandwiches to vegetables, potatoes and bread!
12 perfect sides to serve with cauliflower soup
- Bread: Warm bread is a delicious dipper for creamy cauliflower soup! Anything from crusty artisan breads, soft dinner rolls, breadsticks and cheese bread is a wonderful addition!
- Crackers: Salty, crunchy crackers are a nice contrast to creamy soups!
- Hush Puppies or Fritters: You can serve battered and fried hush puppies or fritters as a side or use them as an indulgent garnish!
- Flatbreads: A quick and easy cheesy flatbread pizza is a fun way to round out your meal!
- Salads: A simple green salad is a delicious way to balance out this rich soup! Using a vinaigrette dressing on your salad will help balance the creaminess of this soup!
- Grilled Cheese: A buttery grilled cheese sandwich is an obvious side option for soups! Plus, it pulls double duty as a delicious dipper!
- Artisan Sandwiches: A warm panini or your favorite club sandwich transforms this soup into a super hearty, cozy meal!
- Fries: Kid-pleasing French fries add the perfect salty crunch to contrast this luxuriously creamy soup! For a healthier option, try sweet potato fries!
- Potatoes: Baked potatoes are an easy way to round out this bowl of soup1
- Vegetables: Your favorite seasonal vegetable – roasted or sautéed – are a great option if you are looking to keep things light and healthy!
- Mushrooms: Mild, savory mushrooms are one of my favorite sides to pair with this soup, especially if you are serving vegetarians!
- Chicken Tenders: Tender, crisp chicken tenders bring a nice depth of flavor and provide a delicious contrast to this healthy soup!
Tips for storing and freezing creamy soups
Food safety is important when it comes to storing leftovers! Follow the simple tips below for properly storing and reheating this creamy crab and shrimp bisque!
How long is roasted cauliflower soup good for?
Allow the leftover soup to cool completely at room temperature. Transfer the soup to an airtight storage container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
How to reheat leftovers?
You can reheat your leftover cauliflower soup two different ways! If the leftover soup has become thicker during storage, simply add a bit of stock, broth or cream (half-and-half) to thin it out.
- Stovetop: Transfer the leftover portion of soup to a medium saucepan or large pot. Reheat over low to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm throughout. Take care to avoid rapidly simmering or boiling the soup as high heat will cause the soup to separate or curdle!
- Microwave: Add an individual portion of the leftover soup to a microwave-safe container. Place a microwave-safe lid on top of the container, leaving the lid slightly cracked at the side to form a vent. Reheat for 60 second intervals, stirring in between, until the soup is warm throughout.
Can I freeze leftover soup?
This healthy cauliflower soup freezes beautifully, which makes it perfect for meal prep or easy heat-and-eat lunches and dinners!
To Freeze: Prepare the soup according to recipe instructions; however, do not add the half-and-half! Remove the soup from stovetop and allow it to cool completely. Transfer the soup to a freezer-safe resealable bag or airtight container. Squeeze out all air, seal tightly, and freeze. The soup will keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To Prepare: When ready to use, thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight. Add the soup to a medium saucepan, cover and and reheat over low to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm throughout. Stir in the half-and-half and continue to cook until the soup is warm throughout. If your soup is a little too thick, thin it with a bit of stock, broth or cream. Garnish the soup as you see fit and enjoy!
This creamy soup is like a warm hug from a loved one in a bowl. Just prepare to get all the warm and fuzzies with this healthy cauliflower soup!!
Until next time, friends, cheers!
Recipe testimonials: What people are saying about this soup
Here’s what readers are saying about this deliciously creamy soup recipe!
- “Yum! Made this tonight and it’s delicious! The roasted cauliflower was so good I’m surprised it made it to the soup!” – Lisa
- “This recipe is sooo delicious! And, it’s versatile for all the accouterments that can go on top.” – James
- “Great flavor, nice texture. Yes, making again another day.” – Lisa
More cauliflower recipes!
If you are on a cauliflower kick, try one of these delicious recipes next:
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice (low-carb recipe!)
- Moroccan Chicken Cauliflower Couscous Bowls
More comforting creamy soup recipes!
Try these family favorites!
- Parsnip Soup
- Cheddar Apple Soup
- Beer Cheese Soup
- Sweet Potato Bisque
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Seafood Bisque
Watch how to make the best Healthy Creamy Cauliflower Soup👇
Healthy Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Sheet pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Dutch Oven or Large Saucepan
- 1 large Head Cauliflower – cut into florets (about 2 ½# Head)
- 2 TBS Olive Oil (or Neutral Oil, such as Canola or Vegetable)
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Cumin - DIVIDED
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika - DIVIDED
- 1 tsp Chili Powder - DIVIDED
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt - DIVIDED, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper , plus more to taste
- 6-8 Slices Center-Cut Bacon – diced into ½’’ pieces (OPTIONAL) (SEE NOTES)
- 1 small Yellow Onion – small dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large Jalapeno – stemmed, seeded and small dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 large cloves Garlic – finely diced (about 1 TBS)
- 1 (15.5 oz.) Can Cannellini Beans – rinsed & drained
- 4 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- ½ - 1 Cup Half and Half - to taste (SEE NOTES)
- Optional Garnishes: Sour Cream, Tortilla Strips, Pico de Gallo, Cilantro, Shredded Cheese, Lime Wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (or 400F convection). Line a large sheet pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Roast Cauliflower: Place cauliflower florets into a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cumin, ¾ teaspoon paprika, ¾ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper over the cauliflower and toss to thoroughly coat. Transfer cauliflower to prepared sheet pan. Roast, turning the cauliflower over once, until cauliflower is golden and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Soup - If using bacon: Add bacon to a Dutch oven or stock pot and place over medium heat (start in a cold pot). Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and crispy, about 8-12 minutes. Turn off the heat and use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set the bacon aside. Blot or pour off all, except about 1 ½ tablespoon of bacon fat. If not using bacon, skip the above and heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of neutral oil in a Dutch oven or Stock Pot over medium heat. Proceed to next instruction.
- Add vegetables: Return the heat to medium and add the onions and jalapeños. Season with ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients & Simmer: Add the roasted cauliflower, cannellini beans and stock to the pot. Increase heat to high, bring mixture to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree: Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth and very creamy. (Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a stand blender, puree, and transfer back to pot). Add half-and-half: Return heat to low and stir in half-and-half. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Serve: Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved bacon and desired optional toppings. Enjoy!
- Bacon: I use center-cut bacon because it is leaner with less fat. However, you can absolutely use your favorite variety of bacon in this soup!
- To make this vegetarian: Omit the bacon from ingredient list and skip step #3. Use 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to sauté onion and jalapeños in step #4.
- Spicy Level: If you don't like a lot of heat, make sure you remove ALL the seeds and the ribs from the jalapeno before dicing. If you prefer a bit of spicy heat, leave some of the seeds and ribs intact!
- Half-and-Half: I use low-fat Half and Half; however you can use whatever you can use full-fat or heavy cream if you prefer a richer mouthfeel!
- Blender: If you are using a stand blender to puree the soup, make sure you puree the soup in batches to avoid the hot soup from exploding out of the blender. Hot soup will steam and expand in the blender, which will push the top off of the blender (hence causing a soup explosion), so always make sure you puree in batches and avoid filling the blender all the way to the top!
©No Spoon Necessary. All images and content are under copyright protection. Please do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe please do not list instructions, instead link directly back to this post.
Rate and Comment!
Did you make this recipe? WONDERFUL! Please rate the recipe below!